My DIY wood burning stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Having my interest pricked by Waylands stove, and the magnificent efforts by others I picked up a stainless steel drainer from Woolworths and a 99p stainless steel coffee container and let my creative juices flow :D

Here are some pics

Nested

Image023.jpg

The stove

Image022.jpg

The Billy

Image021.jpg

Complete set up

Image019.jpg

As yet I haven't used it in anger yet so it's still to be tested and I've still to add a wooden knob to the billy's lid.

Andy

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Nice one, Andy! You'll have to post pics of it in use. I bought the same strainer from woolies some little while ago, to make a stove, but could not find a stainless container with a stainless lid. Did yours come from Woolies as well?

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Nice work my friend, I have just finished making a billie can using the same type coffee can, however I swapped the lid for an old ali one from an old meta stove. Jojo the coffee cans are available in norwich .99p each.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice bit of kit fella, I like your wire bail, I use a pan handler with mine it works really well, I use a coffee container the same as yours, did yours have a metal handle on like a T shape on the top? I left mine on as it works well and doesn't conduct the heat.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Lazy Sod: I used a dremel (B&D's version of one anyway)

JoJo: the container came froma pound store in dundee.

SOAR:I cant claim responsibilty for the bail I borrowed that Idea from wayland (works very well too packs down nice and small) The small metal knob on the lid is the original knob for the container I'm considering using JB weld to glue on a wooden knob or removing it and using a screw.

Andy

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Topknot I can't claim responsibilty for the use of the electrical connectors, I shamelessly stole the idea from Wayland, though i havent ground off the screw tops incase i need to replace the Bicycle gear cable bail.

Shep; I used aluminium pop rivets and some folded pieces of sheet stainless steel to make the bail brackets, I'm waiting so see how well the ali rivets hold up, I'd prefered to have used stainless steel rivets and hammered them down but not having any, the pop rivest had to suffice. Though I could have just drilled 2 holes on each side and threaded the wire bail through them instead, though the brackets pop under the rim of the stove when nested and hold the billy in place very well (I have to flex the stove slightly to pop the bill out).

Andy

Gailainne

Life Member
Its a very nice rig, the only thing left to do is feet to get the stove off the deck and allow more air in, thats the only problem with these set ups, I know someone posted using bolts and nuts, but man thats a lot of extra weight, I was looking at a fabricated leg that would fit into 2 of the side holes, and clip into the base, 3 should make it stable ? but I got distracted with a wood stove design...too many projects not enough time :rolleyes: but to be frank I've used 3 similar sized stones in the field, they serve the same purpose.
CIMG0045.jpg

The bail wire is another neat idea, I got some from B&Q and will replace my zebra handles with it at some point, that was Martyns idea originally was'nt it ? so many people contribute to these designs with great little innovations, more than makes up for some of the sillyness that goes on here sometimes.

Stephen

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's what i use the computer fan guard for, if you set it up to give a void at the bottom, more air gets in. No need for feet and more stability. I'll get some pics tomorrow if the light is a bit better, it was rubbish today!

Gailainne

Life Member
I must say what Spam says does work, but I drilled a lot more holes in the sides at the bottom, but I've also drilled more holes in the base, and I've tweaked the top side holes by inserting a same size drill bit into the hole from the inside and then levering up or from the outside levering down, what you are trying to achieve is a shaped hole which will create a minor venturi effect, drawing air into the stove, every little helps.

Another thing that people disregard is the pot shape and wind shield, theres quite a bit of info on the net about wood stoves, its mostly to help 3rd world Countries, but its useful knowledge for bushcraft too.

Basically it boils (not a pun honest) down to if you contain a pot with a close fitting wind shield, as the heated air moves past the pot it will heat it more efficiently, the heat isnt lost to the atmosphere, as when the pot is sat directly on top of the stove with no wind shield, it works I guess like a chimney, which draws the heat up past the pot.

Anyway I've rambled enough. Beer and movie time.

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE