My complete Kit in one picture

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Thought I take a pic and share it with you guys maybe you have some constructive criticism.

Liveventure plastic Bottle (left) for emergency
1x Paracord
1x Small white bottle (from Multivitamins) now headache tablets
1x Sling **** sling
1x Emergency Wistle
1x Emergency fire starter
4x Batteries for my headlight
1x plastic bag

From left top:

1x Light my fire eating System (I can only recommend this)
1x Eurohike cooking pot with extra Lighter
1x Emergency Survival kit (army issue)
1x EasyPak rain parka
1x Mug
1x Iron hooks (no idea what to call them but I use them for my hoochie)
1x Toothbrush and 1x Antibacterial cream (the cream is amazing and kills over 90% of all bacteria)
1x Lighter
2x Waterbottles
Botangas cooker with 1x small bottle and large bottle
1x Petz headlight (a must have)
2x Paracord
1x easy lighter (from my shisha/waterpipe)
2x Maps from Glendalough/Wicklow *(the part I would be most out and about)
1x Compas
1x Frost Mora Knife (awesome knife for beginners like myself)
1x Mountain First Aid kit
2x Tempos
1x SAS Survival Book *(it's small and cannot hurt)
1x Small Notebook
1x Binoculars
1x Karrimor Bivie Bag (and absolute bargain, picked it up for less than 40 Eurs of ebay)
1x Plastic anti wet (from my German army time)
2x Quick soup
1x Sport Water bottle, with nudles and chicken stock.
1x Plastic Bag with Hot chocolate.
1x Sleeping bag.

Top:
1x Karrimor SabreSF 45
1x Water prove sack for cloth and used as a cushion by my wife.

Oh and if you look very close you see on of my Tarantulas ;) She just shed her skin and is grumpy ;)

http://www.simply2hot.com/images/kit.jpg

kit.jpg

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looks fine. You may want to consider waterproofing your FAK and some other items

You have only one torch.

Last year on the BCUK Expedition my Petzl was damaged somehow and my UK mini divers torch flooded during a river crossing leaving me somewhat challenged in the illumination department.

So even if you think you have everything covered nature has a way of surprising you.

I wish I had had time to walk around county Wicklow when I visited years ago.

Traper

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Poland
An extra knife would be nice.

I usualy carry 3 or 4 knives but I'm knife-addict :D and there is no legal issue in Poland about it.
I think that you should double your essentials and knife defenitely is essential.

SAK would do.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Looks fine. You may want to consider waterproofing your FAK and some other items

You have only one torch.

Last year on the BCUK Expedition my Petzl was damaged somehow and my UK mini divers torch flooded during a river crossing leaving me somewhat challenged in the illumination department.

So even if you think you have everything covered nature has a way of surprising you.

I wish I had had time to walk around county Wicklow when I visited years ago.
\

you have a good point, I mean any kit (until you have nothing but a blanket Paracord and a knife) has room of improvement, my sleepingbag is actually not the one in the pic that is the one used by my wife, mine is from the Germany Army time and let me tell you ITS RUBBISH :(
I have a second light it is somewhere in all the stuff, it's a very cheap light you can hang on your keyring.
What you said is giving me food for thought, do we need everything double just in case or only the very essential?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As funds permit I suggest adding a good water filter to your kit - as you know the ability to gather and make safe water can be a big plus!

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have a look at the article I wrote called "The Science of Water" - it will lay out all the options for you ;)

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i dont see a silver emergency blanket or an emergency bivy bag there. these are important in the mountains. the emergency bivy bag is important for being visible when you need to be. a green clad bushcrafter blends in very well from the air, which is a good thing in general, but not in an air rescue. the silver blanket is available in tescos or any outdoor shop, is tiny and vital. maybe you have one in your FA kit of something?

a wee heads-up on food. tesco do a golden vegetable rice meal (freeze dried sachet) that cooks in a few minutes and is REALLY tasty. hunt some down and try them. i always carry them. noodles can get a bit boring after a while.
porrige for breakfast, and some dried milk would be a nice addition too. i go heavy on the food. its worth it to have a quality feed in the evenings and to have enough to cope if you are stuck somewhere an extra day or two.

two walking poles are also dead handy. both for walking, and tarp configurations. i also have another use for them. tie them together to make a latrine seat (squatting takes too much effort, and i like to read on the bog, even outdoors.) you just sit with the webbing under your thighs. keeps you pants out of the way, and cures balance issues.

love your new knife. i just use an opinel. cheap and cheerful. also carry a victornox veg prep knife, a big machet type thing and various other spare sharp things i have lying around. always handy.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I would love to see more photos of peoples kit!!:D

its always interesting to compare! i would upload a photo of mine but i really struggle doing anything technical on the macbok.

MORE PICS PLEASE!!:You_Rock_

Dan

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
i dont see a silver emergency blanket or an emergency bivy bag there. these are important in the mountains. the emergency bivy bag is important for being visible when you need to be. a green clad bushcrafter blends in very well from the air, which is a good thing in general, but not in an air rescue. the silver blanket is available in tescos or any outdoor shop, is tiny and vital. maybe you have one in your FA kit of something?

a wee heads-up on food. tesco do a golden vegetable rice meal (freeze dried sachet) that cooks in a few minutes and is REALLY tasty. hunt some down and try them. i always carry them. noodles can get a bit boring after a while.
porrige for breakfast, and some dried milk would be a nice addition too. i go heavy on the food. its worth it to have a quality feed in the evenings and to have enough to cope if you are stuck somewhere an extra day or two.

two walking poles are also dead handy. both for walking, and tarp configurations. i also have another use for them. tie them together to make a latrine seat (squatting takes too much effort, and i like to read on the bog, even outdoors.) you just sit with the webbing under your thighs. keeps you pants out of the way, and cures balance issues.

love your new knife. i just use an opinel. cheap and cheerful. also carry a victornox veg prep knife, a big machet type thing and various other spare sharp things i have lying around. always handy.

I have an emergency bivy bag but granted it's in another bag so you are right it's no good if I don't have it with me.

silver blanket: thanks, will get me on

Food: Cool I need to check that out, we have a lot more food with is usualy, what is very tasty is a can of Baked beans mixed with some raw Bacon (cut in strips) than cook it and let it boil, it's very very nice.

I would love to see more photos of peoples kit!!:D

its always interesting to compare! i would upload a photo of mine but i really struggle doing anything technical on the macbok.

MORE PICS PLEASE!!:You_Rock_

Dan

I changed the heading to Edit: Post a picture of your complete Kit :) Lets see if other people can take a pic, it's good to "air" and asess what you have anyways. So do it folks,

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
This is how my kit used to look...
Mykitemrations-1.jpg

But as I have got out of the old Scout mentality of "Be Prepared" and as my skills have increased, this is how it now looks...
DSCN2047.jpg

The main differences are:-

• Kit is modular now, with essentials carried in a Response Pak, so that I can drop the main bag, set up camp but still be able to bimble equipped!
  • Smaller FAK
  • New knife
  • Issue shelter sheet replaced with larger (3m x3m), lighter, USMCPro tarp
  • Hammock replaces thermarest & bivvy bag (Underblanket carried now tho)
  • Saw carried in a "Shep" pouch
  • DC3 stone replaced with small strop and wet & dry paper
  • Shop bought wooden spoon replaced with MY spoon
  • No longer carry mess tins, a spare mug or lightweight poncho
  • The single LED torch is now carried on paracord, with a whistle, around my neck
  • Green spork replaced with yellow - its easier to find!

Ventile jacket pockets have been modded by adding a "D" ring in one, with compass attached, and quick release clip added to other with SAK attached.

As a result, kit now fits in a Sabre 45, as opposed to the Sabre 60 -100 which only goes out to play in winter when I need extra food and clothing now!

Simon

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
This is how my kit used to look...

• Kit is modular now, with essentials carried in a Response Pak, so that I can drop the main bag, set up camp but still be able to bimble equipped!
  • Smaller FAK
  • New knife
  • Issue shelter sheet replaced with larger (3m x3m), lighter, USMCPro tarp
  • Hammock replaces thermarest & bivvy bag (Underblanket carried now tho)
  • Saw carried in a "Shep" pouch
  • DC3 stone replaced with small strop and wet & dry paper
  • Shop bought wooden spoon replaced with MY spoon
  • No longer carry mess tins, a spare mug or lightweight poncho
  • The single LED torch is now carried on paracord, with a whistle, around my neck
  • Green spork replaced with yellow - its easier to find!

Ventile jacket pockets have been modded by adding a "D" ring in one, with compass attached, and quick release clip added to other with SAK attached.

As a result, kit now fits in a Sabre 45, as opposed to the Sabre 60 -100 which only goes out to play in winter when I need extra food and clothing now!

Simon

Oh this is good, thanks for posting.... Is the rabbit still alife?

Boots look big, what kinda boots are these?

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Oh this is good, thanks for posting.... Is the rabbit still alife?

He sure is - still bossing both of our cats about, running wild around the garden!

Simon

EDIT:-
The boots are Meindl Desert Fox. Excellent lightweight boots for summer! (And you know what they say about men who need large boots.... they must have big feet!)

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
What a good idea taking a live rabbit with you, It's bound to keep well on the hottest days, however don't you find you get attached to them and find it hard to eat them?
Why is it everyone seems to carry less than I do.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
What a good idea taking a live rabbit with you, It's bound to keep well on the hottest days, however don't you find you get attached to them and find it hard to eat them?

When we got him I wanted to call him "Pie", but was over ruled by the kids & SWMBO! Strange really, I think nothing of eating his wild cousins, but he is one of the family now!

Simon

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Business. I'm surveying for oil north of Tromso.
I'll do a picture of the kit I'm taking to the Moot.
It'll probably be in either my sabre45, or my modified swedish LK70

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE