My carving and whittling story

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
So just figured it might be a nice contribution to create a thread about my (and my partners) whittling journey.

As it is, neither of us have tried it before. I have a small book, but to be honest, I've never learnt from reading, I just like to learn by trying.

So my first dive into whittling I decided to make a (big) wooden knife. I started out with some absurdly dry unknown firewood that has been in the flat for a year. It took 30 minutes just to get half the bark off so I've been using warm water baths.

IMG-1448476251150-V_zpsczhhzwca.jpg

And a beer while I waited.

So I tried again and made progress. I'm using a combination of a Mora 120 and a truly fantastic bison bushcraft knife I bought off kawasemi (the double knife set). Both were fantastic in their own respects.

IMAG0205_zps7fkkdqor.jpg

This wood is so dry the shavings ignite instantly if touched with a lighter.

IMAG0204_zpsqlbsu9ph.jpg

Making progress, but that's all for tonight. A long 3 weeks await me

And yes. I'm doing this lying in bed under the duvet with a repurposed Tesco bag as a scrap catcher :)

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Little bit of progress. Scandi grind :p

This is mostly just for getting used to working with wood but it's going pretty well despite the wood. If I can whittle this wood I can whittle any :)

IMAG0206_zpsztam3zlt.jpg

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Cheers forginhill. I have always loved knives so seemed a logical thing to carve.

I've received a lot of comments saying just bin the dry wood and cut something fresh. But you know what, I now have tinder for about 10 fires in the log burner that lights instantly. No firelighters needed this year :)

I said this was also about my partners whittling. Again, first time, doesn't even know knife safety (especially as its being done alongside me in bed..) but this is what she has done while I was at uni. Again, just getting used to taking a knife to wood, but she decided to go with a dolphin (without fins :p) This was done with a blunt Swiss army I hadn't gotten around to sharpening properly.

IMAG0209_zpstxyyv9fz.jpg

I've asked the landlord for some fresh wood (he is a Jack if all trades) so hopefully he turns up with a nice big log before long that I can take my new spoon knives to :)

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Watched a Dick Proenneke video during which I quickly made this with a twig my partner brought over. Need superglue and some sandpaper but it is the beginning of a paper knife for my dad for Christmas.

IMAG0215_zpsyrgzv2pw.jpg

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Gave myself a few minutes away from the keyboard so refine it a little bit. Almost happy. Need to give it a good varnish and then polish with renwax. Added some glue to the blade and its nice and hard and cutting through paper in an adequet manner.
IMAG0260_zpslllgt5al.jpg

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
More fun with seasoned firewood. Doesn't have much purpose, but the missus enjoyed doing it and getting some practice at working wood. She loves making these little picture montages.
photo_zpsaanfqnyw.jpg

The BK beaver really is an amazing whittler :)

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
That's a real neat instructional montage. The missus deserves congratulations. And I like the carving idea too. Keep up the great posts!

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
The missus rather gave up on doing anything more to her dolphin, so I spent a couple of minutes starting to turn it into a small letter knife, with the blade (kinda) keeping with the contours of a tail. Slowly taking shape

IMAG0278_zpspkbgpijf.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE