My account has been hacked

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 21, 2022
Bristol
Hi, my name is Darren, otherwise on the forum as Kard133, my account has been hacked, do not buy anything offered for sale or send anything to Kard133, my last genuine post was for the three Moras in the for sale thread. Can the mods pleas help me reclaim my account. Tony would remember me from the Winter moot, I had the titanium shovel.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
With thanks to Bluebs4, Toddy, Dave Budd and Tony, I have reclaimed my account, after checking back through the messages I don’t think anybody sent this scum any money, I am very sorry that this has happened, and if there is any justice the person responsible for this will suffer in one way or another.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do you know how your account was hacked and how did you find out?

Just so we might learn. I have no idea about account hacking and I'm sure others don't neither. So I ask so that we can stay safer online.

Reactions: gibson 175

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Do you know how your account was hacked and how did you find out?

Just so we might learn. I have no idea about account hacking and I'm sure others don't neither. So I ask so that we can stay safer online.
I received an email saying my email address had been changed on the forum, I believe it is an automated feature.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Similar messages have appeared on both Blade Forums and BuchcraftUSA

Starting immediately we are recommending that all users regularly update their passwords to long strings with a minimum of 12 random characters including letters, numbers, and symbols. These should be changed frequently such as quarterly and should be unique to this forum alone. We also have an option for two-step verification that can be turned on by clicking on your profile, then clicking "password and security". There you will find an option to enable two-step verification. This is not required but it is strongly recommended to prevent unwanted access to your personal account. Thank you for doing your part to keep your account secure.

Reactions: nigelp and ESpy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Similar messages have appeared on both Blade Forums and BuchcraftUSA

Starting immediately we are recommending that all users regularly update their passwords to long strings with a minimum of 12 random characters including letters, numbers, and symbols. These should be changed frequently such as quarterly and should be unique to this forum alone. We also have an option for two-step verification that can be turned on by clicking on your profile, then clicking "password and security". There you will find an option to enable two-step verification. This is not required but it is strongly recommended to prevent unwanted access to your personal account. Thank you for doing your part to keep your account secure.
Very helpful Chris, I didn't realise we had the two step verification option we could use.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It's obvious scammers use photos and descriptions from previous ads, can i suggest that once an item is sold, the seller goes in and deletes the pics and description of the article, I think the scammer used pics from one of my ads trying to sell a S4, luckily a potential buyer contacted me to make sure my ad had sold and whether I had sold it to the recent seller who was advertising it, as I could not find the ad listed (as it had been deleted) I am assuming it was advertised by the scammer, and was deleted in time. The less info these scammers can obtain the better, obviously they can obtain details elsewhere, maybe it may be possible for members to have to put in a password before they can post an ad, and place pics on the site. These scammers are appearing everywhere, and in many cases even on the likes of Ebay, FB, et al, it isn't safe to buy.

Reactions: Bartsman

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It's obvious scammers use photos and descriptions from previous ads, can i suggest that once an item is sold, the seller goes in and deletes the pics and description of the article, I think the scammer used pics from one of my ads trying to sell a S4, luckily a potential buyer contacted me to make sure my ad had sold and whether I had sold it to the recent seller who was advertising it, as I could not find the ad listed (as it had been deleted) I am assuming it was advertised by the scammer, and was deleted in time. The less info these scammers can obtain the better, obviously they can obtain details elsewhere, maybe it may be possible for members to have to put in a password before they can post an ad, and place pics on the site. These scammers are appearing everywhere, and in many cases even on the likes of Ebay, FB, et al, it isn't safe to buy.

I am on some forums where listings are deleted post sale. I find the frustrating every time I want to know what the going price of X item is.

At the moment I think the service of having past sales for reference is greater than the risk of a scammer reusing the details here. That might change if we get more scammers hacking accounts.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
It is currently against the forum rules to delete for sales listings. I think as Chris has already said the benefit of being able to refer to previous threads outweighs the risk.

There are plenty of photos available for scammers to use on the web i doubt deleting BCUKs images would dent the number of scams globally.

Reactions: Toddy

Bartsman

Forager
Jan 5, 2013
Princetown
As one showing an interest, as I rather like the S4, I thought this was a good example of how a genuine group look after one another. On expressing an interest with need toPM the vendor (expecting an additional discussion on price, as it was suspiciously cheap), the resultant demand for a BT was itself suspicious.

In the time that I liaised with the clumsy scammer, I was grateful to genuine forum members messages echoing my concerns and offering collateral information to inform the scam.

So all in all, with the ads taken down at pace, I felt the forum galvanized quickly and effectively.

We protected one another and it was effective as no money changed hands.

I think this could happen to anyone, so it's good to know the forum are quick to act to support fellow users.

I'm not put off using this forum as a consequence... Quite the contrary as it's well represented by honest folk and for that I'm thankful.

Good work team!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE