MVP Jacket & Windproof Jacket/Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Hi,

I was thinking of purchasing the MVP Mil Spec DPM Waterproof jacket from Endicotts. Has anyone got one of these jackets? Are they worth the £50+?

Also looking at getting a windproof jacket and looking at one of the following:
1. Keela windproof
2. Arktis Stowaway
3. Montane Featherlite
4. Paramo Fuera

Any experience with any of the baove would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think that's a good price for a MVP jacket - Endicotts are IMO very fair with their prices. You wouldn't be able to get a similar spec jacket for the price.

As for the windproof I've used 2-4, the Paramo is the best but also the most expensive. The Arktis is simple but I felt it was let down by the hood which catches the wind and flaps around. The cuffs are elastic so don't assist with the venting, having said that its about half the price of the Fuera. I use the Featherlite for a running top. Again it works as expected however on mine some of the elastic has started to fail & the neck zip has damaged the flap behind it. It seems to be the least robust.
The Fuera is a bit better designed - mines stood up to a fair bit of abuse. The hood works well & it has a front map pocket. I find it does smell a bit after a few days on the hill.
Don't forget Buffalo also make a very good windshirt, possibly the best. I sold mine on as it was a bit small but would buy another if I didn't have the Fuera. Ultimately the three I've used have been good kit so it just depends on your budget.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I'd be wary of something that is "milspec". That doesn't appear to be an issued jacket. On that basis I am unable to comment further in a positive or negative light as I don't know the product.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest

That looks like the dutch army issue jacket - quite big and fairly heavy/substantial, but good quality - quite popular with the british army until we changed to MTP. The face fabric is not nylon like most waterproofs, but a quiet cotton feel material. I'm assuming its most likely to be a polycotton mix. I'm not utterly convinced of its identity though from the photos, I have seen similar knocked out my some of the factories who supply the army with their waterproofs on the side. The new British issue lightweight MTP goretex jackets (Gore paclite) can be had brand new for between £40 and £50, and matching full leg zip trousers for a little less. Absolute bargain, and it feels as if you are barely wearing them (if you can make do without a hood on the jacket).

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
For waterproof go for the other MVP not the lightweight. Windproof prefer the Paramo Fuera or my favourite the Buffalo windproof.

onthehills

Sep 24, 2012
Yorkshire
Montane lite speed running jacket on offer at the moment:

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon538/montane-lite-speed-running-jacket/

If you try quoting WFR3 in the promotions section you might get away with free delivery, I've just bought something else from them that came with a generic looking flyer offering free delivery with that code.

It's made out of the same material as the featherlite smock I already have, tend to use that more in the warmers months and have a Paramo Fuera that I use when it gets cold, both good bits of kits at different times of year.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I have one of the paramo windproofs and it is brilliant - used to go everywhere with me (intil I left it at a friend's house last summer. It's still there. ....)

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the Buffalo windshirt, but will have a look at that. The only item I have seen so far was the Paramo and it fitted well, and looked well put together.

I will look at MVP jackets elsewhere. Anyone recommend a good source please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I have an Arktis Zoot Suit bought in about 1989 - still useful and going strong! I think the Stowaway shirt is basically the same top.
It's been used for running, spare dry clothing, wind proof layer under a combat jacket when I wasn't supposed to be wearing any Gucci kit, emergency jacket etc etc.
Even if you buy another jacket, buy a Stowaway because it's so blooming useful!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE