Mutant Holly!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I did notice they are in abundance this year & beautiful they look.. isn’t it a sign of a harsh winter?
There is a saying (in Finland) that a rowan can't carry both berries and snow, as there were no berries this year (there were a few but they fell off very early) it is going to be a snowy winter. So far we are slightly behind in the schedule. :dunno:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I suspect it's more a sign of the weather we've had earlier in the year; it's been a good 'mast' year in general. Our holly normally has two, three, or at most four berries at the nodes - this is completely new to me.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There is a saying (in Finland) that a rowan can't carry both berries and snow, as there were no berries this year (there were a few but they fell off very early) it is going to be a snowy winter. So far we are slightly behind in the schedule. :dunno:

Really? Our Rowan have been laden with berries; still are really, and I've seen no flocks of redwing or fieldfares yet.

Reactions: Toddy

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Field fares and redwings a-go-go here in the SW. Flighty little bggrrs tho as I can’t seem to get a decent photo. Our trees were stripped bare by the end of October - the birds are all in the field to feed on worms etc.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've seen holly like that in my Grandmother's garden. It really stood out so brightly because that was in the hard, hard cold and snowy years of the early sixties. The bushes were huge next to me. I can still hear my Grandpa (who honestly fed me every kind of wild edible he knew of) saying, 'Noo, no' that yin; it's no' for eatin'. Just you leave it be for the speugs."

My Rowan, and the other ones up and down the street, had a huge crop of berries this year. I made jelly :D and there were masses left still for the 'speugs' (sparrows) and the wood pigeons to gorge on. There were a couple of beautiful bullfinches on the tree for a while too.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Normally rowan berries are eaten by waxwings and fieldfares, sometimes a rare pine grosbeak.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've seen holly like that in my Grandmother's garden. It really stood out so brightly because that was in the hard, hard cold and snowy years of the early sixties. The bushes were huge next to me. I can still hear my Grandpa (who honestly fed me every kind of wild edible he knew of) saying, 'Noo, no' that yin; it's no' for eatin'. Just you leave it be for the speugs."

My Rowan, and the other ones up and down the street, had a huge crop of berries this year. I made jelly :D and there were masses left still for the 'speugs' (sparrows) and the wood pigeons to gorge on. There were a couple of beautiful bullfinches on the tree for a while too.
Ah, so not mutant then :)

We've had several small flocks of bullfinches (truly beautiful little birds) stripping the buds off the cherries and plums over the last couple of weeks :(

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Nothing is funnier than a tipsy waxwing, at one point they realize that drunk flying is not safe even for a natural flyer, they just sit here or there to burn the alcohol off.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Ah, so not mutant then :)

We've had several small flocks of bullfinches (truly beautiful little birds) stripping the buds off the cherries and plums over the last couple of weeks :(
Bullfinch, lovely looking bod( bird) but what a boring call they have

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
It simply indicates that the conditions during the flowering & pollinisation period were optimal with a following favourable growing season............
On the other hand, when a plant suddenly starts to produce a lot of fruit, it could also be that it's on it's last legs or under some sort of attack & that massive fruiting is a last ditch attempt to save it's genes.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
It simply indicates that the conditions during the flowering & pollinisation period were optimal with a following favourable growing season............
On the other hand, when a plant suddenly starts to produce a lot of fruit, it could also be that it's on it's last legs or under some sort of attack & that massive fruiting is a last ditch attempt to save it's genes.
Does that go for us who’s overindulged during this festive season??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Normally rowan berries are eaten by waxwings and fieldfares, sometimes a rare pine grosbeak.

Well yes, but we rarely have those birds here, while sparrows (or speugs as my Grandpa called most every wee bird) are plentiful.

@Broch @Mesquite
I think you're right that it's a rare thing to see, and that the sparse well spaced berries are more commonly what we see. I wonder if it really just indicates that the insects were out early, or it was warm enough that the Holly Queen was full of pollen while the Holly King was ripe, just an optimal window.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Well yes, but we rarely have those birds here, while sparrows (or speugs as my Grandpa called most every wee bird) are plentiful.
My like sentences often have an implicit "here", it just looks dumb to always use it. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a big world.
Truthfully I have only every once seen fieldfares and redwings eating the berries in my garden, and I have lived here over thirty years now.
Bullfinches, thrushes, blackbirds, woodpigeons, starlings and the like though, they guzzle them every year.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As far as I know a lot of species eat rowan berries but some only if nothing else is available. Most thrushes and small passerines can be seen eating them, only waxwing seems to be specialized and if available they eat nothing else. If not available they apparently pass southward faster than normal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE