music/ bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I think anything Ambient or the kind of electronic tracks that feature on Ray Mears programs and the like go hand in hand really, atmmospheric music, really does work for me, it gives you a sense of nostalga or creates a sense of being at one with the nature. It just seems to work, old fashioned skills and knowlege fussed with modern music, that in a way is taking on sounds or beats that echo tribal music of the past.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Well said, music really is a powerful thing, can uplift moods etc. I only wish I could be a bit musical, I love to hear the harmonica, small & portable it seems a perfect instrument for the bush, if only I could learn it I would love to play it around the fire.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's the idea Nightwalker! But you need to be more determined - almost anyone can learn to play a musical instrument if they work at it and don't give up at the first hurdle. Just like most of the other skills we practice!

Personally, I've long thought that everyone should have some capacity to make their own music, even if it's "just" playing the spoons (which is actually quite a bit harder than it looks, and very impressive when done well).

clgladiator

Oct 24, 2007
East Sussex / Hampshire
Fake plastic trees - Radiohead
Sleep now in the fire - Rage against the machine
Walk - Pantera

Ones that actually make me think of bushcraft:

True men dont kill coyotes - Red Hot chilli Peppers
Fight like a brave - ""

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I sometimes listen to various Celtic tunes, sometimes when I need a boost or take my mind away from the busy bustle of technology & work, like when im driving home from work, it makes me think of nature, special-places & environments. Also stumbled upon 'The New World (Soundtrack)' I haven't listened to it all yet, but its filled with sounds from the forest, a mass of bird-songs & calls, no lyrics or singing (I dont think... yet) a little magical and not to everyone's taste im sure, but it took my mind away for while whilst on another tedious drive.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
[ALARM_BELLS]

This thread will now turn into bad pun bushcraft/song list! :D

[/ALARM_BELLS]

Here goes then ....

Day Tripper & Norwegian Wood - Beatles
Sheila take a Bow - The Smiths
Living for the weekend - Hard-Fi
Sparks - Coldplay
Camping next to water - Badly Drawn Boy
Up all night - Razorlight
Neon Wilderness - The Verve

;)

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I don't take my ipod out with me camping, but songs always pop into my head like

Woodie Guthrie - this land is your land
Soundgarden - rusty cage
Jonny Cash - anything
BRMC - Howl
Bon Jovi - blaze of glory (yes I know, guilty pleasure!)
Big rock-candy mountain - can't remember who by
Proclaimers - Joyful Kilmarnock Blues
Seasick Steve - hobo low

...and so many more. I once kept a list ni my journal of all the songs that popped into my head in the course of a 4 day solo hike - it's funny reading it now, there were about 30 of them IIRC

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
There's loads of songs about the outdoors but they are generally sung by more obscure and less fashionable artists.

Musicians in Folk, Bluegrass, Americana, Country, Irish, World Music all have a large volume of material about the outdoors, farming and country pursuits

Here's a tiny list of some that spring to mind.

Dougie Maclean - I Feel So Near (and a bunch of other songs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y8VCk4IZsI

Van Morrison - Purple Heather, Hymns to the Silence, Pagan Streams (and a few others)

John Denver - Rocky Mountain High, Eagle and the Hawk (and a bunch of other stuff if you can take it)

Night Rider's Lament (written by Michael Burton) - recorded by a few different artists

Tim & Mollie O'Brien - Away Out On The Mountain

Big Rock Candy Mountain is a hobo's fantasy about a world where he can just sit out in the mountains and all his needs are catered for by nature. All he has to do is sit around and take what he needs with no effort on his part. For example the mountains are made of candy. Harry McClintock sings the definitive version IMHO.
http://www.lyricsdownload.com/harry-mcclintock-big-rock-candy-mountain-lyrics.html

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
This is fun, how about

Beneath the Fading Sun - Solitude Aeturnus
Land of the Dead - Summoning
The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves - Earth
Seven Gates of Hell - Venom

or how about

Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin
Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden

Seriously though

Solitude - Black Sabbath
Autumn into Summer - Pelican
Flight of the Eagle - Om
Korpiklaani - Korpiklaani (most songs by Korpiklaani really, how about Beer, Beer?)

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I think thats called 'Baba O'Reilly'

It's a funny thread this. Until now, i had not realised that the same two songs seem to be playing when i get to a campsite. It's either 'Sunday Morning Coming Down' by Johnny Cash or 'Garage Land' by The Clash. Not really Bushcraft related, although i've had more than my fair share of Sunday Mornings Coming Down of a weekend in the woods.

It's the opening line to "Baba O'Reilly" by The Who, but also a song by Gary Moore and Phil Lynott (of Thin Lizzy) also with most excellent guitar work! (getting that Bill and Ted vibe?)

Anything Simon & Garfunkel / James Taylor / Don McClean / Johnny Cash would do it for me.

Dom.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Mari Boine - combines yoik with beats
Sigur Ros - you can feel their connection to the nature, recommend their Heim DVD
And we can't forget, Dueling Banjos for that deliverance felling, its the only thing I can play on the frying pan...
jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE