Mushrooms in tea.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
My Dad has always cooked his mushroom's in tea. He's 73 this year. He says that his Grandmother always did mushrooms this way. Would this be a local way of cooking them or do other parts of the UK/world cook them the same way ? I don't know any one else locally that cooks them like this just him. So it might be a family thing that's been past down.

He heats a small frying pan. Puts in some lard. Then adds cold tea and the chopped up mushrooms. He bring the pan to the boil and then lets them simmer for a few minutes. He them fishes the mushrooms out and serves. Iv always cooked mushrooms in a frying pan with some cooking oil. Which to me is the "normal" way of cooing them.

Dose anyone else do them the same way as my dad ? or do any of you have other "strange ways" of cooking mushrooms

MountainGhost

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
Not the same of course but I've always made mushroom brew when out in the woods. Particularly in the Autumn. Very warming and balances out the heat in the body. Helps with the night visions too.

Will try your Dad's way with peat smoked salmon and my favourite Earl Grey today. Thanks.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah man i certainly remember enjoying some mushroom tea over the years, i'm sure that is not the same mushrooms your Dad is eating though

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My nNan used to cook mushrooms in milk in the same way that you described. For years I thought that was the way everybody did it.

I still do them like that when I want a mushroom soup type dish, but fried in butter and garlic for a grill or breakfast! If I get large ones, or Horse mushrooms, I might remove the stalks, turn them upside down under the grill with cheesey/eggy/ tomatoe-type stuffing and do them slowly like that; a meal in itself!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I quickly stir fry mushrooms, add loads of fresh ground black pepper, and then poach them in a pan with the lid on. Depends what's to hand as to liquid added. Left over wine or beer's good, though the beer can swamp the taste of the mushrooms if you're not careful. Something like sweet stout is excellent, just not bitter stuff. Black tea's fine (try one of the smoked teas :) ) coffee's a no however.
It's a good way of making sure you have enough stock if you're going to use the jus for soup after you've taken out most of the mushrooms, or for flavouring stuff like tvp (for the non veggies, that's tortured vegetable protein)

I've already had breakfast, but this thread is giving me ideas :eek:

Talking of mushrooms though….if you scoop out the stem and some of the gills of small ones, pack the space using boursin or herby philadelphia, shape it tidily with a small knife into a shallow dome, put them on a tray in a hot oven and bake until they end up sitting in a little puddle of their own juice and the cheese is coloured a bit. About ten minutes or so.
Quick and easy, no waste, use the scraps for quick stir fry or nuke for soup.
Lovely :D

M

Last edited:

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I quickly stir fry mushrooms, add loads of fresh ground black pepper, and then poach them in a pan with the lid on. Depends what's to hand as to liquid added. Left over wine or beer's good, though the beer can swamp the taste of the mushrooms if you're not careful. Something like sweet stout is excellent, just not bitter stuff. Black tea's fine (try one of the smoked teas :) ) coffee's a no however.
It's a good way of making sure you have enough stock if you're going to use the jus for soup after you've taken out most of the mushrooms, or for flavouring stuff like tvp (for the non veggies, that's tortured vegetable protein)

I've already had breakfast, but this thread is giving me ideas :eek:

Talking of mushrooms though….if you scoop out the stem and some of the gills of small ones, pack the space using boursin or herby philadelphia, shape it tidily with a small knife into a shallow dome, put them on a tray in a hot oven and bake until they end up sitting in a little puddle of their own juice and the cheese is coloured a bit. About ten minutes or so.
Quick and easy, no waste, use the scraps for quick stir fry or nuke for soup.
Lovely :D

M

Thanks. I think I will give cooking them in Beer ago.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Not the same of course but I've always made mushroom brew when out in the woods. Particularly in the Autumn. Very warming and balances out the heat in the body. Helps with the night visions too.

Will try your Dad's way with peat smoked salmon and my favourite Earl Grey today. Thanks.

Do you use a set recipe ? If so would you share ?
I'm a big coffee drinker, But I do like a cup of herbal tea too. Iv been trying to cut down on the amount of coffee I drink. I drink far too much of it. sometimes as many as 12 mugs a day !

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Got to be an old school thing. Maybe something that was resurrected during rationing?

Must be something along them lines. His Grandmother use to do them that way. She died in the early 70s form old age.
we live in the black country but despite our industrial history for heavy industry there are lots of bits of woodland around here. We ourselves live right on the green belt. many people here were poor. The yearly holiday was going hop picking. There would have been plenty of mushroom's growing in the woods and on local farm land. Mushrooms would have been a good source or food for some people. Rabbits were big on the menu here too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE