Mushroom ID's?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hi guys, lovely forum you have here :)

Here's a challenge for you mycologists out there!

I went out for a walk in the woods a few days ago with my mushroom book, and took some snaps on my phone of some of the fungi I spotted. I was wondering if anyone could help me try to identify a few of the types that I came across.

I'm hoping that those seen in the first photos are are Clitopilus Prunulus or 'The Miller'! They were found under ash and hawthorn trees. I understand that the photos are of rather poor quality so I apologise!

Anyway, on with the pictures....

Specimen 1- Miller?

DSC00663.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

Specimen 2:

DSC00678.jpg

Specimen 3:

DSC00607.jpg

and number 4....

DSC00622.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

Thanks for reading, hope someone can help shed some light on these for me!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
3 looks like butter caps. Uncertain about 2. I haven't seen Miller in a while, but 4 might well be it. 1 looks a bit round and regular to me, and might be a milk cap - break one and see if it oozes a milky sap.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Number 4 might also be Clitocybe rivulosa, which is deadly poisonous and rather common. Mention it because Miller is edible, and you don't want to confuse the two. Miller is also quite a small fungus, certainly smaller than those in picture 1.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
2 looks like 'Chicken of the Woods' and also appears to be growing on a Poplar tree, which fits ok. Should be very yellow to look at and makes good eating if you trim the outer edges off and leave the fibrous stalks.

A positive ident would be needed but there isn't anything poisonous that it can be confused with.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Thanks for the help!

I've been reading a bit about Milk Caps after your suggestions, but I'm struggling to find any information on 'heath' milk caps specifically. Is there another term for this type?

I will probably go back (hopefully with a better camera as well!) and take another look at them, as I'm really curious as to what they are now!

After looking at some more pictures I'm convinced that number 2 is chicken of the woods, as someone suggested. However, I'm pretty sure that the one I've found is too old to be eaten now, as it's rather pale. Which is a shame!

Here's some more snaps of it:

DSC00680.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

I understand that my camera phone will skew the colours of these pictures somewhat, but it's still pretty clear how pale it is. Do you think I'm out of luck on this one?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Another possible for the first pic is Russula delica Milk White Russula. The relatively short stem, slightly constricted in the middle, with a yellowing to it fits very well - what did it smell of?

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Another possible for the first pic is Russula delica Milk White Russula. The relatively short stem, slightly constricted in the middle, with a yellowing to it fits very well - what did it smell of?

It's hard to describe the smell, it certainly wasn't very pungent! I just remember that at the time I was hoping it would smell like dough, as that was how Millers were described to smell in my book, but when I took a wiff, it smelt more chemically than anything. This probably isn't much help but I'll try to get another look at them in the next few days.

I also tried to see if they changed colour after bruising them. But as far as I could tell, in the short time that I was there, they did not noticeably change colour at all.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Whilst you lot are on funghi ID I've got a strange one that I'd be interested to find out about. Saw it in mixed deciduous and coniferous woods in south Lakes area early spring on a cold (in the shade) but sunny day IIRC. It is a very bright yellow and consists of several trunks coming up from one base (splits at ground level or slightly above so you can jsut make out its from one base). Then at the top of each trunk (as I can only describe it as) there are short spikey branches (to keep the tree metaphor going). Some of the bigger trunks split into three branched which then have the short spikey branches coming off them.

I don't seem to be able to get the photo onto this site so you will have to work off my description such as it is. I would say that it was at most about 110 to 120mm high from ground to tip of highest branch at the greatest. Possibly less. I did see it about 4 or 5 years ago and took a nice picture of it too.

The colour was a bright yellow and it kind of shiny in a slimy slug like way looking at the photograph. On the day it didn't look slimy just very shiny but the photograph kind of makes me think of slugs. Looking at the ground around it there are mostly pine needles but some evidence of deciduous leaves too but since they would have been from Autumn the year before they were looking mostly like leaf litter except for the pine needles.

Anyone know what it could be? Not seen one before or since that day. I took the photograph of the better example but IIRC there was an older one nearby that was not as good looking (about a foot or two away atmost).

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Similar but the ends are more spikily branched and it is a more vivid yellow and shiny too. The "trunks" come hout from one tight base. It is coral like, especially at the spikey ends.

The one in your photo is a more washed out yellow than the funghi in my photo. How do you post photos on here? It asks for a URL. I am not on photobucket or anywhere like that. I'm onf facebook but since it is in my real name I won't be posting them from that URL.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It is a nice photograph. Would be very good for a glossy funghi book though it is that good. The "macro" on my old 4MP digital nikon camera was pretty good and it was a very nice specimen too.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ramaria largentii is closest if it only had one main branch and not the second one off to the left. The chunky trunk (I called base) is more n the ground too. The yellow was vivid too, these are all too washed out. The ends of the branches have very spikey sub-branches that are pointed. Other than that they are pretty close. Will google ramarias. thanks BTW

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If that link comes out it should be a photo from Google images for the closest to the one I snapped. It is a more immature version though as there are only a few f the "trunks" showing asn they appear to be separate. As it grows I guess more come out and it gets more spikey branches at the ends plus it becomes more of onebase with loads more trunks coming up.

An interesting funghi. Probably without any use to us.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE