Mushroom ID?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
We had some new turf put down a couple of weeks ago and these little fellows have sprung up all over the new lawn.

You can see that the cap is about the size of a 1p coin, The gills seem to be crowded, they are free from the stem and there are intermediate gills towards the.margin of the cap. A broken cap doesn't appear to bleed any fluid. The stem doesn't have an evidence of a collar and is pretty much parallel all the way down, maybe 4-5mm diameter. The stem is hollow.

They smell like mushrooms.

mushroom_01.jpg

mushroom_02.jpg

mushroom_03.jpg

Any suggestions as to ID? I'm slightly tempted towards fairy ring champignon - though they aren't in a ring - but they wouldn't be, would they, as this is new turf.

Thanks

Geoff

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They are not fairy ring champigion. They are far paler about the gills than the ones in the picture. The fungus in the picture is not edible in anyway.

What you have there is known as a little brown mushroom or an LBM. Normal people don't eat LBMs and IDing them is speciality in its self.

I will PM you the name when I find it.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The same thing is growing all over the place around here. I looked on rogers mushrooms and I think I pinned it down, although I forget the species. Inedible though, so I didn't pay much attention! I found a small clump of Boletes last night though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE