mushroom id please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,
just found this mushroom growing in my garden.
can someone please tell me what it is,and is it eatable.
thanks

GEDC0459.jpg

GEDC0458.jpg

GEDC0457.jpg

GEDC0456.jpg

Regards
Chris.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its a stinkhorn and they are edible at the egg stage before they sprout up and start stinking. Problem is that there's several other very dodgy indeed species that are very similar looking at the egg stage.

I've eaten them and they look to me like a when a bird has a calcium deficiency when it lays an egg and its kind of leathery instead of hard shelled.
If you pick them at that stage they have a slightly leathery outer then a clear gelatinous part and a hard part in the middle so in cross section they look like this...
Hexenei.jpg

To my taste buds they taste like a very mild radish and I scrape the clear gelatinous part off and eat the part inside it.
To be honest as there's the possibility of getting it wrong and dying from it I'm not totally sure I would say its a good idea to eat them but I suppose I've also eaten the flesh off Yew berries so I guess I was just on a roll.
This is one I picked.
DSC01176.jpg

There's no way on earth I would consider eating one after the egg part has opened up and the stinkhorn sprouted.
No doubt someone with a brain will be along shortly with more information about them and there might even be nasty versions I don't know about

Last edited:

xylaria

getting eggs muddlied with other things [like death caps] has been done, however if the inside look just like demographics piccy with the gelly bit and dark bit you are on totally safe ground. They are very good eating in my opinion.

Never heard of anyone eating the erected specium outside of chinese medicine. you might want rid of the fungus before it gets to ripe BTW.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm pretty sure than none of the other ones that form from an "egg" have the gelatinous part between the outer and inner so its worth remembering where they sprout up (fairly easy in your garden then) and with luck you can catch them before they sprout up next year. Also if you see one that's sprouted there's often another nearby that hasn't got out of the egg stage and at that point they really are OK. I take the outer skin off, scrape the gelatinous part off (that part feels a bit manky and sticky) then cut the inner in half.
After that I know what I'm dealing with.

Here's another I picked and ate.
Straight after finding.
DSC00153.jpg

After part removal of outer skin and showing the gelatinous part that I think later becomes the stinky topping to the head, get rid of this part before it becomes stinky cos it really can stink then. Plus it feels pretty manky.
DSC00154.jpg

Cross section showing part of the gelatinous part and the inner hard part. Bit like a little nut.
DSC00155.jpg

After scraping the gelatinous part off and ready for eating. I eat the greyish/brownish part and the white very centre part. If I read it right its called the receptaculum.
DSC00156.jpg

Again from the cut side.
DSC00157.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE