Mushroom Fungi ID ?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Anyone know what this is ?

showthread.php

mason

Jul 25, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Sorry for tagging on to this one, I didn’t want to create more mushroom threads than there already are. Anyone know what this one is. The sack on top ejected the spores when pressed.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/87208973

Also I've not got a pic but apart from the puff ball are there any other spherical mushrooms.

I’m just starting out so I’m reading the few ID books I have and seeing what they look like in real life, which leads me onto my next point. Is it a good idea to touch mushrooms if you don’t know what they are? I’ve read that you normally need to eat ¼ of a teaspoon for poisonous mushrooms to harm you, how true is this? Also are the spores poisonous?

Cheers

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Some sort of earth star or similar. I've never seen one before. As for puffballs, there are many differing varieties, but watch out for witches eggs and earth balls, which aren't puffballs.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
for tagging on to this one, I didn’t want to create more mushroom threads than there already are. Anyone know what this one is. The sack on top ejected the spores when pressed.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/87208973

Also I've not got a pic but apart from the puff ball are there any other spherical mushrooms.

I’m just starting out so I’m reading the few ID books I have and seeing what they look like in real life, which leads me onto my next point. Is it a good idea to touch mushrooms if you don’t know what they are? I’ve read that you normally need to eat ¼ of a teaspoon for poisonous mushrooms to harm you, how true is this? Also are the spores poisonous?

Cheers

YOU SCARE ME.

You can touch any fungi
You can sniff any fungi
breathing in large amounts of any small particle powder is not very good for you.

Randomly walking about taste testing fungi is a very stupid thing to do, even very low doses. The toxic dose for a death cap is a teaspoon full that is ingested, that doesn't mean you should eat less than teaspoonful to taste test it. It means you should pick a fungi and learn to ID. THERE IS NO QUICK ROUTES TO EATING ANY WILD FOOD.

The survival taste test in my humble opinion is only any good if you are dropped in the middle of foriegn country, and need to survive even then you be considering eating insects first instead of unfamilier plants.

The spores from mould in hay can make you ill. Take bill clinton's lead and and dont inhale. Some fungi like milk caps have to be taste tested, but then you spit not swallow.

As spamel said it is earth star, and they can be quite rare. So you have quite a find.

mason

Jul 25, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for the replys. To clarify I’m NOT eating mushrooms when out, only looking. Which I why I asked the question as to if its ok to touch mushrooms when you don't know what they are?

Some sites on the internet indicate that mushroom spores can be poisonous but none of the books (I guess that 3 is not a vast collection) I have make any mention to it being a problem handling them.

Rest assured I'm not taste testing.

Now the www.rogersmushrooms.com website is back up I think it was Geastrum triplex.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE