murphy's law of bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Murphys law states that if you remove somthing from a pouch when still walking two things will happen 1, some thing will fall out - 2, you fumble the item drop it not on the ground but toe punt it out of exsitance (if it lands on groung you stand on it) Or both

You always stand / kneel on stuff thats brakable.

and Just as you think "I should'nt do that" you find your doing it................ :rolleyes:

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
you clear the ground for ages when putting your tarp down and go to sleep and at three in the morning you suddlenly find a tree root has invaded your space .
pesky thing!!!!! grrr

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
The Item you need will always be at at the very botom of the rucksack :banghead:
The Otter is gone by the time you get the camera out :banghead:

When you have tended the fire all evening and it is going just right, someone will just throw a log on ! :censored: :aargh4: :banghead: :tapedshut :red:

Cheers
Rich

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
ooh ooh, I've got one!

Last winter I'd delayed going to work cos it had been snowing (I'm in Cornwall) and more was forecast. I managed to drag this out for a good 2 hours but eventually gave in and took off on the 25 mile journey. After 3 miles it started snowing, after 5 miles it was a blizzard (Still in Cornwall folks!) I pulled off the road, called work and said there was no way I'd get in, turned round to head home.

After a mile or so I was crawling down this BIG hill and sliding all over the shop. Behind me was a BIG truck and I steered off the road onto a grass verge to avoid having the BIG truck up me jacksie. The snow is chucking down (STILL Cornwall!)

This is the fun part. I go to the boot remove wellies, waterproofs, water and trailmix. I sit in the front doing sudoku's and munching cherry bakewells (sheer good luck having them on board :D ) Several other cars have skidded to random halts around me and apart form the cheesy 4x4's :AR15firin we were all stranded. After a couple of hours I went over to this little peugot where the lass was sitting there with engine off in a denim jacket looking ruddy cold. She had no fuel left, no mobile signal, warm clothes, food or water so I invited her to my car. We sat there for another hour or so with me being all proud and clever for having enough on board to stay the night if necessary.

Then a gritter went past...

Slowly all my fello 'strandee's' got moving. My new friend went back to her little peugot and drove off.

Sadly I was the a**e that had parked on a grass verge in the snow and was now churning mud, snow and grass with my back wheels :eek:

PS. My mobile was fully charged enough to phone my parents to come and rescue me in their 4x4 :ban:

Time to learn to be humble me thinks...

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
This is kinda in line with "Bushcraft". I come from a long line of fly fishers. Most of the family going back to my Great Grandad fly fished the rivers, and streams of Montana, N Idaho, and Eastern WA.

Here is the problem. When you go fly fishing you try and set your kit up with the fly's you know :rolleyes: will work for the particular stream/river you fish. No matter what the first fly you tie on is bound to not work. Mean while your Buddy, Brother, Sister, Father or whomever (who seems impervious to sods law) has already nailed one on something else :banghead: Then the question happens "what are ya using" to which the answer is "walk on over and I will give you one" Now you must haul yourself out of whatever hole you are in, wade out to them, all while being carefully to not ruin their hole with your fumbling around :eek: Never seems to fail. I should just throw the fly I would have picked into the fire before I go out and wait to see what hits.... but that would be to darn easy :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE