Mummy deer and two bambi's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
I went for a walk in Selhurst park earlier this week. Managed to track three Roe deer. What I want to know is do female deer have more than one fawn a year? I ask this because there was a mature female with two young deer with her, one of them was just losing the markings of the very young and the other had lost them completely and was just a few inches shorter than mum, where as the other one was shorter to it's sibling by about two inches. can any one help?

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Maybe?
Not possetive about roe. But with fallow, if twins are born, tends to be one or sometimes both will die, not always though.
Deer do form nurseries. We have 3 fawns at work and different females look after them at different times.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I'm not familiar with your Roe Deer, but the two species (Blacktail and Mule Deer) here that I've observed, twins are born and do survive. I've been fortunate enough to have watched on several occassions, a mother walking out into a small clearing, then clicking a noise and her fawns join her and play their games they play.

I've also watched mother deer abandon their fawn(s) when pressure is applied by humans, so please be careful about getting too close and letting them know you are there.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's actually normal for Roe to have twins.

In my part of the world it's usual to see three Roe (mother and siblings) moving around and after Christmas, there are often four, a male joins as well to make up a typical nuclear family. :p

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE