Multitool legality question

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
because then I wouldn't have a knife if I needed one :p

besides which, I'd be ruining a £100+ piece of kit (Charge Ti)

LOL. Obviously I only meant if you don't really use the knife blade on the multi-tool. I rarely ever do. Granted I use a knife often, but I usually have a proper knife as well as the multi-tool.

As for "ruining a 100 pound+ piece of kit"; perhaps, but how would it be any more so than any other knife modded in this forum?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
As for "ruining a 100 pound+ piece of kit"; perhaps, but how would it be any more so than any other knife modded in this forum?
because it's removing functionality, rather than adding to it.

In my case, it's a function I use daily (opening letters/boxes, stripping wire). same with the pliers, though more for opening electrical control cabinets when i can't find the proper key. My Leatherman lives on my belt unless I'm going to a pub / restaurant in town.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
odd innit? i've had a few conversations with police officers recently on the subject. the general opinion seems to be that a multitool is a tool, they're not bothered, a knife is a knife and they are bothered! YMMV.

cheers, and.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
because it's removing functionality, rather than adding to it.

In my case, it's a function I use daily (opening letters/boxes, stripping wire). same with the pliers, though more for opening electrical control cabinets when i can't find the proper key. My Leatherman lives on my belt unless I'm going to a pub / restaurant in town.

Granted; in your case it wouldn't be a good idea. However I really doubt if most people actually ever use the knife blade. It is a pretty poor blade after all. Not saying you SHOULD remove it; just that I think for MOST of us it's a redundant feature anyway.

Is it really the only knife you carry?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Is it really the only knife you carry?
yep.. got a SAK Cadet in my desk, and a stanley knife in my toolbox

I used to carry a locking SAK (can't remember the model - sliding catch on the side)... I chose the locking model for safety - I'd had a previous knife fold across my knuckles.

Then I found out about Section 139, so I bought a non-lockinng SAK Huntsman and carried that on my belt..

Then the sheath started to fall apart, so i sent it away to a mate to have a new one made.

While it was away, i carried the Leatherman instead.. and found I was using the pliers a lot to open electrical cabinets, and the little reversible screwdriver for adjusting reed switches... and the bigger reversible posidrive bit for removing the lids from plastic terminal boxes... and so on... So I decided to keep carrying the leatherman as it really was proving to be a "multi-tool" :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
eah, I used my Leatherman a lot too (just not the knife blade) It's odd how well we got along without them before they were introduced then became so dependent on them; or at least I did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE