Multitool advice, please...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I am fast approaching a 'significant birthday' and thought I might treat myself to a multitool thing. I have had Leathermen in the past and, while they've been reasonably good, they haven't really been great. So, I am now looking at the Victorinox versions, mostly because the tin openers on their knives are second to none and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool fan of my good ol' Farmer. Which model should I choose? Or, if Victorinox get the thumbs down, what other multitools would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Richard

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I had a Victorinox Swisstool as EDC for 13 years and it is still on my desk as my go-to-tool.

Can't fault it!

I have an Alox Farmer as EDC now.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've got the Victorinox swisstool that I must have had a least 11yrs. Superb build quality but heavy. I have my 14yr old leather man wave with me 90% of the time and I can't fault it but I don't like the new waves so much.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a current version Wave which is usually on my belt or in my bag, I looked for an alternative a while back and didn't settle on anything in particular although I thought the SOG tools looked pretty good.

I miss not having an Awl and the can opener on the wave is hopeless.

:)

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Thanks for the advice thus far. I have a Leatherman Wave but the pliers jam and the blades are pants, hence my interest in the Victorinox equivalent. I'm not too bothered about weight but quality IS an important factor for me.

Any other observations/comments/recommendations most gratefully received!

Thanks,
Richard

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have most of the good quality multi-tools. The one on my belt most of the time thesedays is the Leatherman Charge TTi, although I'm never very far from my SwissTool. The two things that really I don't like about the Charge TTi are the pliers, which are really poor for gripping chunky things hard, and the fact that it has no awl. The pliers on the SwissTool win hands down over those on the Charge TTi, at least for my purposes, but it's worth noting that the Leatherman pliers have much finer tips than those on the Victorinox if that's likely to be an issue.

The knife blades on the SwissTool have always performed perfectly well for me, but I have nothing much against those on the Leatheman Wave. Perhaps I'm not as fussy as you are. :)

The S30V blade on the Charge TTi is one of my all-time favourites and I really like the interchangeable screwdriver bits which is the main reason I carry it. Were it not for those, and the kind of work that I do, I'd carry the SwissTool. When camping I'd more likely carry the SwissTool.

Shame you can't mix-n-match really...

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
I own a wave; had it for years.
a few observations about it.
- its' kinda heavy
- it doesn't have an awl. you might not think this is important, but IMO, for bushcraft it is.

if I decided I need a different tool, I would look for something a lot lighter with an awl.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"... I have a Leatherman Wave but the pliers jam and the blades are pants..."

Actually yes, in addition to my comment about the poor can opener performance, the blades aren't so good either. :)

An awl, in my opinion and those of many others here, probably one of the handiest items on a multitool.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Hmmm. It seems that the awl is the valued tool on the various devices. Since I already have one on my Farmer, need I bother with a multitool at all? I usually have a Leatherman Skeletool with or near me - purely for the pliers, which are not that great - so perhaps I should keep a hold of my cash and find something else I'd like...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm looking at getting a new Multitool.
I'm probably going to get a SOG.
The compound leverage system looks good, I use the pliers quite a lot on the ones I have.
The ability to swap out tools so I can customise the setup is also something I want to try out.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm looking at getting a new Multitool.
I'm probably going to get a SOG.
The compound leverage system looks good, I use the pliers quite a lot on the ones I have.
The ability to swap out tools so I can customise the setup is also something I want to try out.

That was where I was going with SOG before my attention strayed, the leverage system looks quite impressive. :)

Last edited:

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
The new leatherman wave cant fault it i got the bit extender and extra screwdriver bits for christmas i love it and will not be buying anything different .
Moreso with the gaurentee on leathermans.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
Hmmm. It seems that the awl is the valued tool on the various devices. Since I already have one on my Farmer, need I bother with a multitool at all? I usually have a Leatherman Skeletool with or near me - purely for the pliers, which are not that great - so perhaps I should keep a hold of my cash and find something else I'd like...

you could always just buy a good pair of pliers to go with your farmer, and save your money. :)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I'm looking for a multi tool and have also been considering Leatherman. However with the above comments it seems like they are just not quite "right". I've heard good things about Victorinox multi tools although I have yet to see one properly. SOG also seems a good tough option, although their finish looks a little "industrial" but that may be a good thing as far as durability is concerned. They also give you the option to easily replace or change tools within the pliers which is good.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had an old-fashioned Leatherman PS-II on my belt/pack for more years than I can remember and I can't fault it; it's as good now as when I first got it, and it's had almost continual use and abuse. The newer stuff they produce is certainly more ergonomic but nowhere near the quality.

If I lost this I'd search high and low for the same again.............

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have the victorinox swisstool as well... bombproof tool...

8798759157790_3_0327_SwissTool_X_Bild5_1560_eps.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE