Multifuel stoves

DP1

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2007
Wigan Area
Hi All

I have recently been given a paraffin stove (as some people may have seen in another thread) and it has got me fascinated. I like the thought of having a cooker that, if need be will burn petrol along with coleman fuel etc. I have been looking around and to be honest there doesn't seem to be much choice around. MSR and Coleman I do like the coleman ones as they are more self contained rather than having seperate fuel bottles. What in your view is a good multifuel stove and where do I get one from? Obviously as cheap as possible.

Darren

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I have an MSR whisperlite international and have had for 20 years.I can't fault it in any way.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The modern MSR or Optimus multifuel stoves are excellent. However, for a classic, you have to look at the "Himalaya Stove" the legendary Optimus 111 (models C and T are multifuel). Some have silent burners, some roar like a jet fighter. All are built of brass or quality metal parts, whereas the MSR stoves and several other modern ones have vulnerable plastic pumps (and I should know as I just had to buy a new one)

From left to right : 111 (Paraffin only), 111B (unleaded/coleman only), 111T (paraffin, unleaded/coleman, meths) 111C (paraffin, unleaded/coleman/meths)

Careful - it can become an obsession...

NS

P1010286.jpg

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You will get a 111 for £50 or less on eBay, don't worry if the tin looks tatty. The weak link in the range was the 111C (Cobra burner) which had a steel tank instead of brass and the 'new' burner was/is prone to cracking so IMHO steer clear of that model.

They are very very reliable stoves but the plain 111 paraffin burner just go on and on. I've got one I have used on several dozen weekends and that lives out the back of my house in all weather and in six or seven years all I have replaced is a tank seal and pump leather.

If you like peace and quite though go for the 111T silent burner.

Here are a couple of my T's, don't take long to light and thats not petrol in the lighter fluid tin, it holds meths for priming the stove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVXZrNWY6GE

DP1

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2007
Wigan Area
I like the look of those! I think I will keep my eye out for something like that as size is not an issue because I don't plan on carrying it too far.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
There was a guy in Norway selling ex-Norwegian Army stock a couple of years ago for very reasonable money. I picked up a brand spanking 1950s new 111 for about £50 and an excellent condition ex-army 111T for £30.

If you are interested I can try to dig up his email.

NS

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
read a lot of negative reports on Hiker+ - apparently they had a major QC problem and the tanks left the factory with loads of crud which blocked up the pipes/burner. Negative comments about general build quality too - rivets failing etc.

Great shame as I really like the 8R and 111 and was looking to aquire one of the the "new" ones aka hiker/hiker+. But seems like the sensible thing would be to get an old 111 or 8R and refurbish it?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
While we're talking Optimi (sp) does anyone know why the 1980s cartoon character was called Optimus Prime ? Must be a link surely ?

I'm just going through a box of junk from my childhood and found my robots, got the gun thing too, Megatron was it ?
Anyway I'm gonna stick them on ebay and see what I can get for them :)

DP1

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2007
Wigan Area
There was a guy in Norway selling ex-Norwegian Army stock a couple of years ago for very reasonable money. I picked up a brand spanking 1950s new 111 for about £50 and an excellent condition ex-army 111T for £30.

If you are interested I can try to dig up his email.

NS

Thanks but I should Imagine that the price will have gone up substantially since then + P&P would more than likely put one out of my price range. I'll keep an eye on ebay to see if any come up. Thanks anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE