Mre's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Hi!

It depends really on what you want. I notice that you are from the US so I guess that you are taking about the US MREs.

I've tried them and don't find them too bad at all - some things might not be palatable to some Europeans (drink power, squeezy cheese and so on) but they are food and not bad food at that. They keep a long time, are self contained, the heaters work well and there is quite a range to choose from. As long as you get a good price I think they would be ideal in a 72 hour kit.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I didn't go through the link that The Viking shared, so if this is a repeat, I apologize.

In an effort to save weight and dollars, I've only bought the entrees (at a much reduced price) and supplimented with home made parched corn flour, rolled oats, honey, coffee/tea and a few spices/condiments. Their taste is pretty good and instead of the heaters, my preference was to heat them in water, which I used later for cleanup.

They will keep a long time if stored properly. If you keep them refrigerated, they will last the longest, but the warmer the storage temperature, the shorter the serviceable life. IE if you store them at 120*F, they last a month. If at 60*F, it extends to 84 months. If the storage temperature varies, it will affect the life expectancy of the MRE. IE, store them at 100*F (18 month life) for 11 months and move them to 70*F (55 month life), their life is shortened to half of the 70* life.

leemann

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2004
In the year 2022
Thanks to all this site rocks lots on information Viking thanks for the link
sounds like mre's might be the way to go.

Thanks

Lee :pack: :wave:

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
For homemade MREs I use a personal size tin of cocktail weiners, a tin of fruit, and an energy bar of some sort. I tape the tins side by side and tape the bar to the flat bottom. Provides protein, fat, carbs and vitimins. Don't have the specs with me but it is 550 calories per meal.

The tins on these items are made from a rather light metal

I then put four of these into a nylon lunch bag with a few extras. These are all on a bookshelf just left of my door along with 2-2 quart US military canteens with straps for grab-and-go situations like apartment fires.

BTW: Canadian translation: "tins" are cans here, "quarts" are litres here. Just thought I'd British up my post for all you fine chaps :lol: One of my bosses is British and the other Scottish :eek:):

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
OhCanada said:
BTW: Canadian translation: "tins" are cans here, "quarts" are litres here. Just thought I'd British up my post for all you fine chaps :lol: One of my bosses is British and the other Scottish :eek:):

:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: Thanks OhCanada... :eek:):

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've eaten MREs and the only decent things about them were the mini bottle of tabasco, the peanut butter and the spoon. still, they're handy in an emergency. if you have the catalytic heater then there's no stove or mess tins required just add a little water and hey presto! a hot meal.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I absolutely love MREs. Everything is a surprise! Its like being a big kid with a top packed lunch on a school outing. the heater is excellent, the food tastes like.... food and the bits and pieces are tasty and cheer me up when I find something like a milkshake or powerbar or jalapeno cheese spread and crackers. They are rations though so they'll never beat a proper meal but as a grab and go they're great.
Wait till you try the MCWs (Meal Cold Weather) in the white pack. Scrambled eggs and bacon. Mmmm

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I like MRE’s they are a little heavy but for a 72 hour kit they’re about as good as you can get. The best features, as stated already, are certainly the spoon and the Tabasco bottles. The heavy gauge plastic bags are great for foraging, berry picking etc.

For years I would reuse the hot water in my canteen cup after heating up an MRE entrée for making coffee, tea, or “Beverage Powder, Cocoa”. Someone told me about a study done on boiled MRE entrée water that supposedly turns lab rat’s olive drab or something;) I have never seen the actual study but I often think about it over my cup of coffee. You have to weigh the possible health risks of drinking this water with the risk of inhaling wood smoke while heating another canteen cup of water combined with the added danger of irritating your friends because you haven’t had your morning coffee. Addiction is a frightening thing.

The older MRE’s used to have a dehydrated beef or sausage patty and others had dehydrated potato patties. I would strip these out and make lightweight MRE combos. A beef patty and a potato patty with a bullion cube and a shot of Tabasco made excellent stew!

I’ve found you can make a very filling meal by pouring an MRE entrée over boil-in-the-bag instant rice. The rice itself only takes five minutes to cook. If you really want to live on the edge you can boil the entrée with the rice, drain the water and eat like a king in a few minutes. (be sure to check your skin color for any alarming changes) You can do the same thing with ramen noodles.

The five minute instant rice is one of my wilderness staple foods. I am also fond of Quaker instant oatmeal. I don’t bother to cook the oatmeal. I just mix two packets with a half canteen cup of cold water and drink it. It sounds nasty but try it. It also quickly frees up the cup for coffee and it’s easier to clean the cup. Mac

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
What kind of price would you pay in the uk for one MRE do you think guys?

I have looked at british rations before but they are £10 or £15 for one day :shock: That's too expensive for any decent length of time.

Bill

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I personally wouldn't pay a penny for Brit rations, but that is because I can walk into my SQMS department and get them for free!!

I saw a programme once where these two loonies wanted to travel to America from London by pedal power alone. They cycled on land, obviously, and had a boat designed and built that was pedal powered. They got rations from the Army and packed the boat up for the trip. The rations were apparently out of date, but I believe the shelf life of these things to be almost infinite.

I don't think they would give them out for a jaunt into your local woods, but a self supported expedition may benefit from their generosity. I think that Ewan and Charley had some brit rations for their bike journey round the world. Could be worth a try.

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
tenbears10 said:
I have looked at british rations before but they are £10 or £15 for one day :shock: That's too expensive for any decent length of time.

Yes, like too expensive for one days use

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
tenbears10 said:
What kind of price would you pay in the uk for one MRE do you think guys?

Bill
Most times I see them quoted at about 7-8 pounds. Still expensive when you can make your own.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
They're all good (read convenient and edible) if you get them at the right money.
The best place I've ever found for obtaining US MREs is Germany. Plenty about and cheaper than anywhere else for some reason.
British stuff... Is easier to obtain and can be had cheaply if you can find the right source. Not as tasty but it's food, it takes little fuel, it's light and it wont actually kill you.

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
I prefer the british rat packs to the US MRE's and have used quite a lot of both, the best bits about the MRE's are the mini bottles of tobasco and the cheese, but the main meals are a bit artificial the las tone I had was meant to be chicken in salsa or something like that and the meat? tasted like a hotdog, still they sustain life and arent discusting. but if your getting them over here there about the same as british rat packs but contain much less stuff. I'm sure last time I got rat packs they were about five pounds each, I'll see If I can find the site I got them from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE