Moving silently in the snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I guess it depends what kind of snow you have, take a look at my winter pictures from yesterday http://web.telia.com/~u18313429/ when I came back from checking out my traps the snow made hardly any noise walking with snowshoes. Today when the snow got packed because of me going every time the same route it creates the sound you described. Don't know what happens if you would cut some pine brunches with lots of needles under your snowshoes or boots and try to walk on the snow. Try it out and tell me.

cheers
Abbe

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Who are you trying to sneak up onto? Bears and wolves can hear small rodents moving under the stuff. In broken or forested ground much of your noise is muffled. In open terrain the wind can either carry or mask sound. Snowshoes are the answer. If you look at almost every snow adapted animal they have BIG feet.

leon-1

I remeber watching a guy on a small sled like a luge with a coule of uprights holding a sheet with a hole in it. He was hunting, using his feet / toes to push the sled along and the sheet gave him cover. I think it was one of the survival programs.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
hobbitboy said:
Is it possible? I tried moving silently over a patch of fresh snow, crunched horrifically, is there a particular skill to it?
Cheers,
Matt

Are you talking about fresh snow with an icey crust??

It all depends what sort of snow it is, if its crunchy its crunchy and their is not a lot you can do to stop it you just have to live with it.

The only thing you can do is move more slowly .

MickT :biggthump

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Depends on the snow surface and consistancy, the noise is from snow compression underfoot and displacement, Human hearing range doesn't do any justice to the abilities of animals. To be realy silent I put ear plugs in my ears and become blissfuly quiet :eek:): :rolmao: :shock:
just a disturbed thought

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Fur moccasins with the fur on the outside of the sole. Hunters in Siberia do this in the birch forests during the winter months, it dose not stop all the noise but sure helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE