Movie, recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If you like Down Periscope... you might also enjoy Pentagon Wars. Kelsey Grammer at his best :D

Some more recent films, especially if you enjoy the 'tough' guy films of the 60s and 70s.... try We Do It The Old Way, a film about the reformation of some unsavoury characters to deal with today's unsavoury characters. And Harry Brown... Micheal Caine as a pensioner who's had enough.

Just watched The Survivalist and not sure whether I enjoyed it or not. It was interesting, but a bit gratuitous.

Action wise, if you haven't seen John Wick yet, its a must see. Very much looking forward to the sequel.

And despite what is said about Adam Sandler, and the fact that this film was pulled from cinema release and went straight to digital download, The Cobbler isn't a half bad film. Its not as funny as I'd hoped, but I like the story.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Thumbs up for John Wick, ninety minutes of pure whoop bottom :)

DeadPool has also earned a spot in my DVD collection as the antidote for the Marvel/X-men franchise.

Machete & its sequel Machete Kills starring Danny Trejo with a surprising number of famous faces in the supporting cast is a good excuse to break out the Dorito's and a bottle of Tequila.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Watched Spud and Spud 2 last night... not to everyone's taste, but it's about a boy who attends boarding school in South Africa.

Deadpool is one of my favourite films at the moment, but then I've been obsessed with Deadpool in the comics for years. Having such a good representation on film is amazing... but a thoroughly good and extremely funny film.

A recommend, which I'm watching later today, is Raising Arizona. It's a bit daft, but its genuinely funny unlike some films that try to pass as comedy these days.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Dog Soldiers - Technically a low budget 'B' horror movie but is still holding the fort very well for its age and a must watch if you plan on wild camping in Scotland.

Dune [1984] & the six part mini-series in 2000 - I know Science Fiction is not everyone’s cup of tea but think of it more like a collaborative work between Shakespeare and Machiavelli, Star Wars it is not.

Just seen Star Trek: Beyond and whilst it's big, action packed with lots of great special effects it probably won't make into my collection till it turns up in the bargain bucket of clearance sale DVD's. The story/plot just didn't do it for me and have fingers crossed for the new Star Trek: Discovery TV series.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Aye, i agree, Dog soldiers is best watched just before you plan on going wildcamping for the first time :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Stranger Things.

Its a new TV series, season one has finished. Binge watch it. You'll love it. Its set in the eighties, a group of kids, reminiscent of 'stand by me' or 'the goonies' but a bit of horror. Its really well done. Check it out.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The problem I have with Dog Soldiers is every time I watch it, I just think of Lassie... no idea why, just do.

The one I'd recommend before a bit of wilding camping (especially in the winter) is The Grey. That gave me nightmares for a week! :D

A recent favourite of mine, Dredd... its a reboot of the Judge Dredd comicbook to screen, but this one has been done properly.

Discovered another Spud movie, titled in the obvious way as Spud 3.

Those with a strong stomach and fans of Rutger Hauer will probably enjoy Hobo with a Shotgun, just don't expect Bladerunner quality.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
This is a silent flick from 1947. But interesting to watch just the mundane every day tasks, they use, firesticks, collecting water, clothing etc, pre globalisation.

[video=youtube;YyuCd5VQbxI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyuCd5VQbxI[/video]

"We Live in the Arctic" is a silent film by Harmon “Bud” Helmericks and Constance Helmericks, circa 1947. The film details the Helmericks' lives as homesteaders in the Brooks Mountain Range of Alaska, and as explorers of northern Alaska and Canada. In 2015, the original 16mm film was preserved by the Alaska Film Archives through funding from the National Film Preservation Foundation (NFPF).

Bud Helmericks and his first wife Constance (Connie) Helmericks spent more than a decade living in and exploring northern Alaska during the 1940s and 1950s. Constance was the best-selling author of eight non-fiction books, five detailing their lives and adventures in the far north. Films that the couple shot on 16mm color film were the subject of national lecture tours. Shot with great care and artfulness under extreme living conditions, these films depict the unique lives of the Helmericks family, as well as the rapidly-changing lives of small groups of coastal and inland Iñupiat peoples during the era of pre-Statehood and pre-pipeline Alaska.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Bone Tomahawk - Suprisingly good western, action-horror that has one of the most brutal death scenes you will ever see in a film.

Stranger Things - Not a film but deserves a mention because its quite good and it is one for fans of 80's films. Kind of like Goonies meets silent Hill.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
2nd mention of stranger things , will have to check this out!
Sounds like the kids will love this...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Couple of excellent rarer films which spring to mind.

The Dancer Upstairs, Javier Bardem is the cop in corrupt south america tracking down the leader of a cult, which is overthrowing the government, directed by john malkovich.

The reckoning, starring willem dafoe, and a host of other good actors, 2003, set in the north of england, during medievel times, a travelling group of actors, arrive in a town, where a murder has taken place, under the castle of a norman lord, and they decide to re-enact the murder on stage in the town. The first time its been done. Up until then all 'players' re-enacted bible stories.

Both brilliant books as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE