Movie: "Into the Wild"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Has anyone else seen it?

:notworthy

What an excellent story of Christopher McCandless's adventures!

Storyline in a nutshell:

Christopher leaves home as he can no longer handle the attitude/violence in society, and so leaves home to essentially live in the wilderness.

Lots of bushcrafty things in there for us, eg: hunting, leatherwork, sharpening a knife, foraging (kind of), kayaking, rock climbing, and living in the wilderness.- and a truely superb movie. :cool:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I've seen it. You could play quite a fun "spot the mistakes" game whilst watching it. Me, I knew he was a gonner by the time he tried to cross that river in full spate. Mind you, by rights he should've died doing that stupid kayak stunt.

Moral of the story - if you still need a book to tell the difference between what's edible and what's poisonous, you're not ready to live in the wilderness.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Has anyone else seen it?

I went to see it yesterday, a great film I thought, fabulous scenery and as others have commented, lots of examples of what not to do...

The Wikipedia entries for both the film and the man may be of interest to you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild

I remember reading the book while trekking in Greece in 99, the edition of the book I read stated that he'd died as a result of ingesting a local plant which inhibited digestion, it was interesting to read in the Wikipedia entry that this is now no longer certain and that later editions of the book have been modified accordingly.

It was also quite tragic to learn that if he'd had a map he would have seen that there was a river crossing cable system only a few kilometers away that he could have used.

:(

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Yes, some parts were silly - and I'd like to know why he just delved into the deep end so to speak in the river. Maybe his mind wasn't exactly in top form at that point? I mean, there may have been some problems with the guy?

As for the rapids - I doubt there are many people that have the balls to do that! Yeh it wasn't smart or sensible, but it was bloody brilliant! :D

Thanks for those links Sandbender, but I just read it all last night. Very interesting! :)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A fun, entertaining story. But that's also the problem. The fact that he died because of his own choices and actions is totally lost on so many people.

The area up there has already had to deal with a bunch of clueless bozo's with little in their heads other than "romantic fantasies". They want to "see the actual place" and "live the experience". And other people now have to risk their lives to save the sorry butts of these muddle-headed fools - and still risk lawsuits if they don't do enough to protect those fools from themselves (in the eyes of lawyers and surviving family members of course).

And, YES, a bunch of those bozo's with romantic visions clogging up their heads think that they are better prepared, and will survive where he didn't. Just more grizzly/wolf bait.

Great scenery in the movie, and an interesting story. Just don't gloss over that FINAL ENDING! It's a far cry different from wandering around Central Park in New York City or London!

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. For a better wilderness movie, go find a copy of an old film called Never Cry Wolf with Richard Dryfus.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I don't know why people think it's fair game to run the lad down. Who wasn't a bit reckless and thought ourselves indestructable at that age? Maybe we should look at mistakes we've made ourselves when we were younger. Havn't we all done some pretty daft things gregorach. I remember a certain PM you sent me once mate.
It's easy to sit from the sidelines and pick the lad apart. I can understand why he wanted to do it. Society,expectations from parents, responsibilities, stupid rules and laws. Materialism. I don't blame the lad to be honest. I do think he was daft to give all his money away to Oxfam, and then have to work flipping burgers and driving a combine harvester to earn a few bucks. He was no doubt clever, but a bit impulsive and rash. A sad story indeed.
Another lesson to come out of the film which never gets mentioned is maybe we shouldn't push our kids too hard. I think he'd had enough of it all. My lad WANTS to go to university and I'm backing him all the way, but if he didn't want to go I certainly wouldn't force him. It's his life and he can do with it as he pleases.

Another good book and a little tragic is Cold burial http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Burial-Endurance-Disaster-Grounds/dp/0670885649

I've read and re read this book over the years. Highly recommended.

In the clear, bright Spring of 1926 three Englishmen set off into the remote wilderness of Canada, the Barren Lands. One of them, Jack Hornby, was already a legendary figure. "Hornby of the North" prided himself on his ability to live off the land. He feared the incursion of "the white man" into these beloved open spaces where the caribou and musk oxen migrated in enormous numbers. Hornby had abandoned England, but on his last trip home he had met up with a young cousin, Edgar Christian. Edgar was 17, and eager to make something of his life. His heroic and charismatic cousin promised to take him to Canada. Edgar would make his fortune by learning Jack's skills at trapping. Harold Adlard made the third man of the party. He too hoped to make his name and his fortune in the wilderness. "Cold Burial" is the extraordinary and gripping tale of their journey and the idealism and the aspirations that lay behind it. Hornby's stamina was quite properly the stuff of legend but unknown to Edgar and Harold he had tested it to the edge in a previous journey into the Barren Lands with Captain James Critchell-Bullock. They had barely survived the winter and both carried lessons from that experience; lessons with quite fatal consequences. Based on Edgar Christian's heart-rending journal and letters and the writings of Critchell-Bullock, "Cold Burial" is a haunting and compelling story of obsession, folly and fortitude.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I've seen it. You could play quite a fun "spot the mistakes" game whilst watching it. Me, I knew he was a gonner by the time he tried to cross that river in full spate. Mind you, by rights he should've died doing that stupid kayak stunt.

Moral of the story - if you still need a book to tell the difference between what's edible and what's poisonous, you're not ready to live in the wilderness.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I don't know why people think it's fair game to run the lad down. Who wasn't a bit reckless and thought ourselves indestructable at that age? Maybe we should look at mistakes we've made ourselves when we were younger. Havn't we all done some pretty daft things gregorach. I remember a certain PM you sent me once mate.
It's easy to sit from the sidelines and pick the lad apart. I can understand why he wanted to do it. Society,expectations from parents, responsibilities, stupid rules and laws. Materialism. I don't blame the lad to be honest. I do think he was daft to give all his money away to Oxfam, and then have to work flipping burgers and driving a combine harvester to earn a few bucks. He was no doubt clever, but a bit impulsive and rash. A sad story indeed.
Another lesson to come out of the film which never gets mentioned is maybe we shouldn't push our kids too hard. I think he'd had enough of it all. My lad WANTS to go to university and I'm backing him all the way, but if he didn't want to go I certainly wouldn't force him. It's his life and he can do with it as he pleases.

Consider this rep from me... :)

I agree 100%.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I actually quite enjoyed the film and watched it because of the discussion in this very thread
I dont think it was primarily about real wilderness living; rather the wildnerness was a metaphor for a simpler life where real things,natural events and friendships/relationships matter, not the superficial stuff we are constantly told we need such as a new car etc
The sub plot of they parents really messing up (and the consequences of that) while clinging to the acceptable norms of their society was interesting too
I am an original Punk from 76 who now sees bushcraft as an alternative to society as espoused by politicians and the middle and ruling classes so maybe that explains my empathy and the bells that were ringing throughout the movie for me
just my opinion
This all sounds a bit pseudo; sorry for that but will post it anyway!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Kayaking down the Colorado with absolutely zero prior experience and no safety equipment at all is a little bit more than "a bit reckless". I can totally understand why he wanted to do it. I just think that throwing yourself in headfirst without having made any real effort to prepare yourself is foolish.

Sure, we've all done stupid things in the past. And if I for one had died as a result of any of them, I don't think I'd object to anyone subsequently pointing out just how stupid they were. Sure, good on him for following his dream, but that doesn't mean you can't recognise that many of the things he did were stupidly and unnecessarily dangerous.

Funnily enough, of all the things he did, giving all his money to charity is the one I find least foolish.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hmmm..

I have great sympathy with the lad and to a degree it is up to all of us how we live and the risks we take.

Where we get into a debate is the point at which it affects other people.

For example had he killed himself and washed down to the gulf of Mexico then that is his own affair. However, if he had injured himself, resulting in a rescue operation putting other people at risk, tied up valuable medical resources, etc. then that becomes a completely different issue.

In our modern society, even if we choose to "drop out" of certain aspects of it, we cannot easily escape our larger collective responsibilities.

Even dying alone in the wilderness has an effect on someone else, like dropping a pebble into a still pond.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I read this book a few years ago and always wondered how People knew so much about what he did yet he was on his own ??

How much was fact and how much was fiction.

He tried what a lot of people just dream of and got it wrong, but at least he tried.

He didn't involve anyone else he just went out there.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
He wanted an adventure. Not necessarily drop out of society permanently. He had a romantic young lads notion of living for a while, away from the drag of other people's expectations, conforming to what is expected. He didn't go on the rampage with a gun. He just wanted to get away from it all and not hurt anyone in doing so, except his family but he alone knows why he chose to put them through that. Kids often don't realise, how parents just want the best for them, and are unaware of what pain they cause.
He was just a young lad and give him some credit, who hasn't done some daft things at that age.
Wayland if you chose to go for a walk in the hills and twisted your ankle so badly you couldn't walk on it and found yourself having to spend the night on the hills and died because of hyporthermia would you be concerned that the people who found you hadn't had a 'good day out', or that 'it hadn't done much for their trip' ? You didn't plan to twist your ankle, just as Chris MacCandless didn't plan to become ill from the plants he ate. The lad made a mistake as we all have done. If you survived the night and the rescue services helped you off the mountain and you lived, would you beat yourself up and scold yourself, because you were a drain on resources and rescue services, or be thankful that you were found, and be thankful that we have such services who either get paid or volunteer, but nevertheless, 'choose' to do the job.
Everyone makes mis-judgements, especially at that age. As far as he was concerned he was getting away from it all without involving anyone else. People can sometimes 'GET' involved with our lives whether we like it or not.
I remember when I was learning navigation, orienting the compass the opposite way to the way I wanted to go, and walking directly 180 degrees in the wrong direction for about 2 miles. realising none of the features were matching up or making sense, I stopped and checked everything again, and realised my mistake. What a twit. It's laughable now, and no-one needed to rescue me. It could have been worse though.
Anyway I'm not having a go, but we should maybe all remember we were all young once, and 'indestructable' and thought we knew more than we actually did.
The lad made some mistakes, as we've all done, it's just his cost him more dearly.
As it says in the good book, "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"
It's easy to sit from the side and pick faults. Ever cut yourself with a knife? Why? you should have been paying attention and using correct techniques. "the knife slipped" so you should take into consideration that could happen and be using a technique which allows for slipping and the knife to pass into harmless air.
Not having a go at anyone, I'm just saying maybe we should cut the lad some slack, instead of jumping on the bandwagon that seems to want to slate him at every opportunity.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> Very sad but if he'd been looking for a long safe life I guess he'd have stayed at home. :dunno:

Snip> I have great sympathy with the lad and to a degree it is up to all of us how we live and the risks we take.<Snip

I don't know why you're chewing on me fella.

I was just pointing out that in the modern world it is very difficult to take any action that does not impact on another.

If you noticed the repeated motif of the plane flying overhead in the film, I guess that was making the point that it is almost impossible to leave civilization behind.

As such it is likewise almost impossible, as much as we might wish, to leave our collective responsibilities behind.

Simple fact.

In answer to your question, if I had to be rescued I would be very upset about the inconvenience I had cause others. If I died of it, I don't suppose I would care much at all because unlike some, I don't need the comfort of believing there is something after this life to set my moral codes upon.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
FR

I think Waylands comment was Tongue in Cheek or I thought it was ??

Got to admit I have got things wrong a few times I once got stuck in a bothy because of a Snowstorm, and the factor of the local estate asked me if I was ever worried or panicked in those sort of situations
without thinking I came out with "The time to panic is when you are down to your last Teabag, then you know things are getting desperate",
I will never forget the look on his face, he couldn't believe that anyone could be trapped in a bothy and not panic.
my biggest worry was that I was expected back that night and if I didn't return alarmbells would ring.
I send a lot of time out on my own and one of my favour sayings is "If you get this wrong Michael you are going to die".
Still here so must be doing something right or am I just lucky!!!!!!

All good fun when it's over

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Wayland mate relax, I'm not 'chewing' on anyone as I said 'I'm not having a go at anyone'. Just saying that people seem adept at picking out faults in the lad. (not you in particular but the people referred to in the book and on various threads we've had on this over the years.
I was only using a hyperthetical situation with 'you' in because you mentioned the rescue services and it becoming a completely different issue, and it ruining the trip of the moose hunters. The lad didn't set out to get these people involved as with any 'incident' in the wilderness no one plans to get others involved but sometimes they do because of accidents, mis-planning etc. So therefore we can't blame the lad for being a drain on resources or an idiot for not being prepared, or in-experienced. He was a little of all these things, but my point is, we shouldn't be so quick to point the finger because if anyone wanted to scrutinise OUR lives, (especially when we were young) there'd be a lot to pick to pieces too, I'm sure.
No ill intentions Wayland.
Just (and I don't mean anyone in particular by this) I see it as the folly of youth, and if it happened in this country the coroner would record a verdict of misadventure, which is pretty much what it was. We all have experiences we've scraped out of, and thought "I'll do that a bit different next time". Unfortunately he didn't get that opportunity.

Comments from our moral high chairs like - ----------"Yeah, I've seen it. You could play quite a fun "spot the mistakes" game whilst watching it. Me, I knew he was a gonner by the time he tried to cross that river in full spate. Mind you, by rights he should've died doing that stupid kayak stunt.
Moral of the story - if you still need a book to tell the difference between what's edible and what's poisonous, you're not ready to live in the wilderness." ----------------- arn't really giving the lad the benifit of the doubt. Yes great fun game that would be. And well done for being so observant that he was already a goner by the time he'd tried to cross the river. Let us raise you above our heads and parade you through the streets.
Folks get into trouble in the wilds for all sorts of reasons. Some through biting off more than they can chew, some through in-experience, some for sheer bad luck, some through rash decisions. Some of these actions call down more consequences than others. Even not having the right change for the bus impacts the guy behind you in the que who's already late for work. Just no one's going to die because of it.
One of my favourite quotes (from the book Deep survivial) is "if you play chess with mother nature, you'd better be aware she has a habit of making some stunning moves"

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
<snip>

p.s. For a better wilderness movie, go find a copy of an old film called Never Cry Wolf with Richard Dryfus.

Now, I've just finished watching this film and I always thought it was Richard Dreyfuss! It would appear that we were both wrong, it is Charles Martin Smith! They do look alike though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE