Mountainman/Bushcraft/Expedition Recipe Books?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Hi All,

Can any of you recommend, any recipe books, covering things like:

Pemmican
Jerky
Bannocks
Breads
Fish & Game Dishes
etc

The kind of things that, Trappers, Mountainmen etc, would have eaten, or even the kind of dishes/recipes used on overland expeditions, if that makes any sense.

Thanks, Hjaltlander

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Foods of the Frontier
Gertrude Harris
Library of Congress Cat. Card No. 72-77565

God alone knows where I got mine but it is brill with everything from braised bear to soft soap, Jerky to candles, Son of a Bitch soup stew to mountain goat stew to wild grape jelly....... and bannock, sourdough pancakes, acorn flour bread.... and so on and so on!
Good Luck in finding it!
John

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I see Bibliofind has been swallowed up by Amazon :( - but it's still a good place to find rare and out-of-print books. :)

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Hi John,

You'll not believe this, but after reading your post, I went onto ebay.com, did a quick search, and found a copy of Foods Of The Frontier, no bids and six hours to go, so I stuck on a bid, and lo and behold, I won it, for the grand sum of $5.75, although I suspect the postage will cost me more, just waiting for seller to give me total amount, I will let you know what I think when it arrives.

Karl

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Hi Again,
Quick update, got the mail from the seller, $10 for postage, so the complete purchase, has been $15.75 or just over £8, can't grumble at that :D

Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE