Mountain Leader Award

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

Ginja

Greetings. Has anyone here been through a Mountain Leader Award assessment? (and ideally passed!). I'm thinking of having a go at it next year - the 'summer' qualification, that is - and was wondering if anyone had any opinions/suggestions/tips, etc?

If you have been through it, it would be very useful for me to know your level of experience prior to taking the test (eg. roughly how many years experience), the amount of training you had to put in (eg. in months), and if possible, what areas of expertise I should focus on in particular.

Many thanks in advance,

G :)

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi Ginja

Yup I've got me SML (amongst another raft of bits of paper that you have to chase these days)

I suppose the most useful bit of advice I could give you is to get hold of the syllabus, compare what they say you should know to what you do know and if it's close enough then go on the training course. Speak to Plas y Brenin or Glenmore Lodge and ask lots of questions.They set a minimum level of experience and ability before you go on the training course, so that should give you some idea of where you're at.

After the training course you should get a development plan that looks at your skills and abilities and lets you know what you should be working on before you go for assessment.
if you're at ease with the majority of the syllabus then concentrate on navigation, navigation and then more navigation - it's got to be off pat. Your assessment could take place in any kind of weather and will include being out at night so you've got to be hot so you can concentrate on the rest of it. Make sure your fitness is up to scratch as well 'cos you need to be able to keep up with several long days in a row.

In answer to your original question - I had been walking and climbing for about 7 years before I got round to doing my SML. I did my training one year and my assessment after a gap of about 6 months. I think thats the minimum time you can do between training and assessment.

Hope this helps. If you've got any other specific questions then I'll answer if I can.

George

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Hi ginja

Got mine, SML & WML. Military first converted to civilian around 6 years back.

Not much to add to what George has said above - spot on, George.

PYB and Glenmore lodge are said to be best but the MLTUK claim a balanced programme throughout the country irrevelant were you go.

I thought the civilian training and assesment was more dealing with kids scenario than adults, but, that's my humble opinion.

Chris :wave:

G

Ginja

George / Chris - many thanks for your responses, fellas - very useful indeed. Interesting to note that you both seem to have a fair amount of experience before taking the ML assessment, which is understandable.

I'm fairly confident about giving it a go. I have just over 5 years' experience hill walking/bivvy-bagging - though as you mention, my navigation could probably do with improving, especially the night nav (it's okay, but I've yet to really prove myself under pressure).

Anyway. I'm going to take your advise - get a copy of the syllabus, have a chat with Plas y Brenin, Glenmore Lodge, MLTUK and take it from there.

Thanks again lads,

G :)

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Hi Ginja, your welcome

Try doing the national navigation awards first, ie bronze, silver, gold and take note off the experience criteria they require and DOUBLE it, in as many mountain locations as possible.

If you do it at PYB get to know Snowdonia like the back of your hand and be prepered for the pre assesment PYB questionaire, about all 100 questions of it, it is very time consuming, it is legendary.

Good luck

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I'm only at the MLT stage but would endorse everything the others have said, from what I've seen and heard. I'd add that you've also got to be confident with basic rope-work, especially confidence-roping and various belays. The BMC has recently published "Hill Walking: The Official Handbook of the Mountain Leader and Walking Group Leader Schemes" which might be worth a look. Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...427?coliid=I2VLKFW66HMAHD&colid=1AQM4MVZMDSQU

I'd also recommend "The Mountain Skills Training Handbook" for its clear diagrams on rope-work. Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...427?coliid=I12TEYRRS50FBT&colid=1AQM4MVZMDSQU

Finally, the last "Trail" magazine had an article on the ML scheme which included a sample test paper. Not the most reliable journal in the world, I know, but worth a read to get you orientated.

Must have a go at the assessment myself sometime!

Good luck!

Ted W

G

Ginja

Thanks again fellas - this is EXACTLY what I was looking for ... some sound advise and a bit of encouragement as well! Am going to do a bit of research and start making some enquiries - think it's almost definite that I'll give it a go nonetheless (what the hell, eh?!). I'll let you know how I get on ...

Cheers,

G

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Hillwalking - official mltuk handbook by Steve Long has just been revised so make sure your copy has the red 2 edit revised emblem on it good book written by PYB staff.

The other book mentioned above is fantastic also.

This is certainly the case to your ML training, get the book list from MLTUK
ie. Mountain weather, ropecraft etc.

Ginja - I mentioned in another thread about the jungle survival stuff - you mentioned breakaway but they have just an ansaphone lately and their website doesn't mention anything :?: . Can you give us more on this or who does jungle stuff here, you seem to have a good knowledge on this.

Many thanks

Chris :biggthump

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Sorry Ginja - now got it from your other thread - thanks.

I would edit the above but I don't have that facility on my posting rules :?:

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
A mate of mine passed his ML assesment 2 weeks ago. His comments very much agree with what has been said above. The night-navigation was the big test, 3 o'clock in the morning and hammering down with rain.

Jon

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i have passed ML training, it wasn't as difficult as i thought.

basically, my advice would be:

actually get out and get some personal walks done.

get spot on with your navigation.

get used to navigating at night, in fog, snow, high wind etc...we had the lot! :shock:

get fit so tiredness isn't such an issue!

don't bother with bushcraft skills, you won't have time.

by the way if you meet an old chap, called Ray Goodwin, you are a lucky chap! not only is he a walking encylopedia but he is a close friend of Ray Mears!
Goodwin taught Mears to canoe! aparently he has a soap dish made of birch bark that Mr mears made for him!
don't bug him though he dosen't have any interest in bushcraft or introducing you to Mears! :cry:

make sure your kit is the lightest and best condition it can be, expect it to be tested!

and have fun, hopefully the tutors will be friendly and you will enjoy their company as they will yours!

all in all, make sure you have the required mountain days, otherwise they won't be interested, don't be silly, do as they ask, and aproach the qualification with a sense of professianalism and openess.

don't try to catch out the instructors, they will spot it a mile off!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ginja if you can get hold of Trail mag this month its got a complete section on the ML award. My other half is doing the walking leader award at the moment, as soon as she finishes that we're both going to start the ML.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
all in all, make sure you have the required mountain days,
Yes.... also remember this is a 'leaders' qualification. If you are not already in the job maybe you could volunteer with a local group to get some valuable leading expierence for your log book...... and don't forget your fist aid qualification ;-)

Good luck with your study :biggthump

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE