Mountain Equipment Co-op pulls polycarbonate water bottles from shelves.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Jared, thanks for the heads up. Crap, I've been using Nalgene bottles from MEC for decades. So the concern is simulated estrogens in the plastic...that would explain the man-boobs I've been growing lately...and I just thought it was old age creeping up on me..sheesh! ;)
Cheers
Alex

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
man, just about everything is bad for you these days. my non-stick trangia is givin me cancer, and my water bottle is givin me boobs. (admitedly they are sexy boobs. lol) so sad :(

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Interesting. The article doesn't really let me distinguish whether the company has
acted on sound evidence or the public mood though.

"“We've been following this issue quite closely and it's one we've seen an increasing
concern [about] among some members,” Mr. Southam said of the health controversy."

While there might be plenty of evidence that bisphenol A isn't a chemical you'd want
to drink in quantity is there good evidence that it leaches from the bottles and
contaminates liquids in any appreciable quantity? There may well be - I've not looked
into it for a while.

(Actually I've not checked to see if bis. A isn't something you'd want to drink either - I'm
speaking figuratively :D)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I think I probably snorted water (undoubtedly from a polycarbonate container) through my
nose the first time I read the word 'moob' in a newspaper (I think it was Caitlin Moran).

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Everything in life is a calculated risk and frankly I'd rather people left ME to do the calculating. Thanks for the information though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
True or not, actions like these stick in the memory of lots of folks and I'm sure sales will be hit. Its like the aluminum / dementia link, now disproved but it still lingers on with some

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
True or not, actions like these stick in the memory of lots of folks and I'm sure sales will be hit. Its like the aluminum / dementia link, now disproved but it still lingers on with some

Some like swmbo! I had too get rid of all my light weight aluminum camp pots and pans, went with 3 different sizes of Zebras , a Trek solo kit ,Titanium mug and Challanger mug/ Water bottle (take only what I need for each trip )SS cooks abit more even, but wa heavier.
that titanium mug fit perfect over My Nalgene!!!!:banghead:
Now she'll never use the Nalgenes either!!!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Apparently the aluminum/alzheimers/breast cancer scam originated with anti-perspirant because it contains aluminum chloride. So, apparently deodorant is (supposedly) safer.

But as for the Nalgene thing, well...*takes a drag from a cigarette* I'm really not too concerned about the whole health aspects of it. Nearly everything on the consumer market is bad for you these days. The solution? Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Adam

PS: I'd also like to add that the Nalgene estrogen bit only includes their Lexan bottles, and not the standard HDPE variety, the very same material that army canteens are made of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE