Mouldy kid leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Have got some vintage kid leather gloves.

(Something for the Steampunkers but to be frank, I doubt they will fit anyone)

The leather is spotted. How do I clean them?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ok now this is how I've cleaned leather when it got a bit mildewed.
1 apply some petroleum jelly to the area. This will keep mould spores from flying about.
2 apply rubbing alcohol mixed with a little water and rub gently.
3 wipe it all away with a soft damp cloth.
4 apply leather conditioner.

Alternatively you can use a mild soap and water with a soft brush of some sort. A baby's first toothbrush is ideal.
Apply conditioner as before.

If the insides of the gloves are lined you can use a spray of white vinegar and water to bring them back . Do not soak the lining. Just a gentle misting. Leave for 10 -15 minutes and pat dry. Leave to dry somewhere warm but not with direct heat.

Hope that helps.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tengu said she didn't think they'd fit anyone....that sounds like the white kid gloves ladies used to wear. Tiny, tight, narrow things. They really need to be put on glove stretchers, and the white kid skin tears if one isn't very careful. It also gets grubby and stained very easily.
They were cleaned with chalk and kept clean, never allowed to get stained.
Totally impractical, but then, if the wearer could afford servants and dressers, it didn't matter.

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They are very tight on me, and my hands are small.

Whoever wore these must have been very petite.

I am going to give them a good soak in gentle soap.

(The Persian carpet restoration book reccomends dog shampoo; if its safe for mutts, it will be safe for antique rugs).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE