MOT's Joker :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi all,

Thought I'd share this. MOT's Joker decided to shed part of its scale, so he asked if I could take a look.
93295ffaf03d2234c22c6ab712aac1e7_zps258403e7.jpg

The woods shrunk and cracked around each pin, so the scales are shot. Only option is to try and re-scale it. I've not worked on a folder like this so was not sure how this would go.
d50c6517f2e1ed8f39f388aee994df05_zpsc78746b0.jpg

The scales pulled off fairly easily. Did not realise its only pinned together. No glue, just a little peening on the brass pins. I have no suitable brass to replace this, so decided glue was the way to go on the repair. I checked first with MOT that he was happy for me to experiment. I also went with Beech handles, as I had some and felt it should be more stable.
fde4958cd289e025236f193615604bb5_zps07823136.jpg

New scales marked up.
f836cef0d6f4a9dbc5ee21b1ce03b5c8_zps6af873bc.jpg

Cut and drilled
f15bd9082ee21056e254617f187c101a_zps0ac84a72.jpg

Now some epoxy

Annoyingly I forgot to take a pic part shaped. So here it is sanded and oiled.
126b1b95a80aee9d0fc50b22a1fd01d3_zps66c4b923.jpg

Any comments gratefully received :)

Hope MOT's happy with it and gets a good few more years out of it.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Excellent, and if the owner is happy then that is all you need.

Nice to see a wood like beech being used too. Sometimes it is easy to forget how attractive some of the native woods are, in our search for exotic materials.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Excellent, and if the owner is happy then that is all you need.

Nice to see a wood like beech being used too. Sometimes it is easy to forget how attractive some of the native woods are, in our search for exotic materials.

Thanks guys

Yeh, I have some hazel burl which would be nice, but on such thin scales I was not confident it would be strong or stable enough. I asked MOT and he went with beech, which I really like. The flecks in the grain are really attractive. We talked about dyeing it but he decided against it. Again, I totally agree with his wise decision to stay natural, just a bit of Tung oil :)

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just one question about beech. It has a reputation for not being suitable for outdoor stuff, such as garden furniture, as it rots too easily. Presumably that isn't a concern in a knife, where it is oil treated and doesn't stay wet for long?

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Just one question about beech. It has a reputation for not being suitable for outdoor stuff, such as garden furniture, as it rots too easily. Presumably that isn't a concern in a knife, where it is oil treated and doesn't stay wet for long?

Hope so. It is used extensively for tool handles, so responds well to oil and sweat from hands, so I'm guessing. Hopefully smarter people than me can answer.
I make the odd knife as a hobby, but I'm no maker. Never sold one :)
Just enjoy sharp shiny things and making stuff

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Looking at this again I'm really looking forward t getting it back.
I've been gettin pic messages of the process but seeing it all in one thread really has shown the process well
I think albus cutler knife making is doin very wwell.

Can't wait t see how the svord minis come ou

Cheers mate :)

The joke of 'Albus Culter Knife Making' has grown on me a lot :eek:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Beech is great for scales and tool handles where it'll get regular oil, sweat and stuff - very resilient stuff, e.g. mallets, butcher's blocks etc..............just don't let it dry out..........looks cool to me!....atb mac

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
it arrived in the post today
Well pleased with it
:You_Rock_
goodjob

based on this on the Svord will look magnificent

Really glad its arrived safe and sound and that you like the work.

Yeh I like the Svord blade you gave me, so the mini's should be good as they just seem a nice EDC size on first impression.

Another post to do at some time once there done :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE