Mossie coils?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Off the Scotland early next month and gonna do some camping. Anyone tried the mosquito coils?
Want something that might help whilst sitting outside
I can't rely on a smudge fire as not sure on the availability of fire wood.
Ta dave

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I've used them abroad but they work best in an enclosed area. You end up living in a slight smog but I got to quite like the taste
ashamed053611282jy0.gif

I wouldn't expect them to work very well in the open but guess if it helps a tad then it has to be worth it. Then again knowing the Scottish midge they will probably like them and be attracted!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yeah, midges just like a Scot hard as nails and out to prove it! ;) :D

Coils have never works IME. From a kid on a family holiday in Caldrons campsite (now closed?) in Glentrool near Newton Stewart in the Galloway hills to trips to the highlands as an adult. My advice is to go high up when camping (if wildcamping of course) then you have more chance of a breeze to keep them down. Stay away from the more sheltered parts of a campsite from under trees and next to streams and lochs and any water.

And above all accept you will get buzzed and bitten. At least it could be worse, I mean no Lymes desease from midge bites.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have used them in the far east they seem to work OK indoors or on a deck outside the house. It's probably a psyological thing & I kind of like the smell of them. The bug jackets look good & I think I will add one to my To Buy list, as I may be up in the highlands in a month or so.

Oct 21, 2009
Ireland
I have used them in the far east they seem to work OK indoors or on a deck outside the house. It's probably a psyological thing & I kind of like the smell of them. The bug jackets look good & I think I will add one to my To Buy list, as I may be up in the highlands in a month or so.

Yep, same as..

I've used them a lot in China. They do work well inside and on balconies (well fire escape stair landings). Well worth a try.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Tommy the Cat, I tend to put my trust in toxic chemicals, as I like the reassurance of seeing mosies and midges spinning out of the sky 6 feet away.

I use Jungle Formula and for some irrational reason prefer the absorption method to inhalation. Either way, none of these things can be good for you, as has been well proven. Today's Jungle Formula is a mere shadow of the stuff as it was sold in the 80's, which in turn wasn't a patch on the 80% DEET I got from a Squaddie in Glencoe.

There are DEET free products available, one recommended to me is called Skin So Soft, which I bought for my wife to use. It did seem to work, although it has to be applied regularly. The proof was when she went for a shower at a campsite (not my choice) in Arran and, forgetting to put the stuff on again, was was eaten alive within minutes.

I've used the coils you're asking about but find them more effective against mossies than midges in the open. That may be something to do with the sheer numbers of midges in some places.

The coils are really designed for indoors and they do work. It's the thought of actually breathing the stuff that bothers me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE