Mosquito net for hammock and hostel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Ok I'm off to Malaysian borneo in the summer and need to get myself a mosquito net.

Were going to be staying in a combination of hostels/hotels and hammocking in the jungle and so need something suitable for both.

Any recommendations? I believe the hammocks were using are some kind of DD hammock, but not certain.

Cheers!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Generally you'll find that a separate mozzie net for a hammock will hang from a single ridgeline, so effectively it's just a large square or rectangle folded in half with a weighted skirt around the bottom. These are like rocking horse do-do at the moment though as nobody seems to be producing them. Lurch sells them but he's not had any in stock for a long time.
For a hostel bed you'll need something like a pyramid or box net which you can support from a ceiling or hook attachment.
Getting something which can do both jobs will be tricky but some folk have had a certain amount of success by modding a pyramid net for a hammock.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
There's a few listed here,
http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Garden-DIY,Pest-control,Mosquito-net
I'm not familiar with the brands,:dunno:.
First time I've seen a net with listed "holes per square inch" (Exp Ridge). Too fine a net will stifle the air in a warm environment. I'm not sure what midge-type critters live in Borneo but my advice would be to get a net with max airflow.
I am familiar with this brand:rolleyes:,
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54153
It's kind of a goofy cube but is adaptable, long-lasting and cheap.

For example,
0000018s.jpg

The net on top has aprox. 3,136 holes per square inch.
The bottom has 169 holes per square inch.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
It's generally easy to get a mosquito net in Borneo, especially if the locals use them a lot. Hardware stores in the more remote places may have them. Will probably cost you less than RM30
Another way is to improvise by getting lengths cut at a local shop that sells cloth. This is especially easy to do for hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE