Mosquito/midge net for DD tarp.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys.
I'm looking for a mosquito net to compliment my DD tarp (3x3).

Ideally something under 300g mark.
So far I managed to find two options:
1. Lifesystems UltraNet - perfect size, it will even fit in to my tarp bag. But I have one very important question. Is it any good against midge? I plan to go to Scotland...
2. This - size is good (at least on the paper) but I would prefer something branded (lifesystems).

I'm also open to other suggestions. Anything that is effective against midge, under 300g, max 15cm x 10cm packed, one person and max 150cm high.

You can probably buy some net somewhere and DIY it but... That is my plan B.

Any body know anything about UltraNet midge-proofnes?
Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
there were some posts about net curtains from Ikea? black in colour with a very fine mesh being a very good option, I have personally used a netting called "organza" from dunelms the mesh is really fine and its cheapm comes in various colours too. (including black)
Ive not been to scotland in years but im almost sure organza mesh, would prevent the midges. but with luck someone could confirm one way or the other.

Code:
 I have removed the link as I'm not convinced that material I linked to is the same stuff I purchased. my daughter has the organza voile and its totally different

The stuff I purchased is called "Organza" it is very strong, you cant open the weave by pulling with force at the netting and the mesh is very very fine.

hope thats a starting point for you any how.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Midgie netting is really good stuff from Rich's link.

I got some really nice black netting from Pro-fabrics a couple of weeks ago, very fine and packable. It weighs 0.7 oz/sq M according to my scales.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Update.
after 4 days got a response from Lifesystems:

"Hi Matthew,
Thank you for your e-mail,
I have spoken to our Lifesystems Team and the Ultra & Micro are not midge proof as the nets have 196 holes per square inch, however our GEONET has a much finer mess over 1000 holes per inch which is perfect at repelling the smallest of biting insects."

So no joy there. And to humor you a response from one of the eBay sellers:

"Hi
Yes it would as its is impregnated with insecticide so kills insects on contact
Regards
Helen"

:)
At the end I went for the one from ebay (second link in my first post). Thanks for all suggestions and links to that shop, as soon as I find someone with the sowing machine all try to DIY 2-3 person version :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE