Morocco

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
Morocco.

Does anyone have any bushcraft advice for the country? Southern desert part.

On my list -
Hand drill practice. I am assuming that the wood is bone dry, so it should be perfect. Just need to find out which trees are the best.
Deathstalkers on couscous. If I can find any.

And that is all I have.
I bought some books on deserts but they offer little. Usually padded out with non desert stuff like navigation etc.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A few books cover desert trekking but most are based on survival. There is very little material to burn in the true desert regions and the Bedouin will not thank you for using precious fuel. Rather than try and pre-plan what 'bushcraft' skills you can apply over there I'd be more inclined to keep an open mind and observe. By all means practice condensation water collection and things like that (far more important than lighting fires although it can get very cold at night) and, if you are venturing into the wilderness, concentrate on the well documented desert survival skills.

I spent part of my childhood in North Africa and have trekked Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco - I love the landscape and the people. Treat them with respect and they are very helpful and friendly (often too friendly in our European eyes).

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I can recommend a hotel called Mamounia.
Been a couple of times on Continuing Professional Education courses and that one is good.

Participated in a offroad trip from Marrakesh to Tunis years ago and, to be frank, hated it.
Spanish version of the Defender was the best bit.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
A bit more information about exactly where you are going, how you are travelling, your intended accommodation, group or independent etc. and what your idea of “bushcraft” actually is would be useful but here are some thoughts.

FWIW, in Morocco, the classic Sahara sand dunes are confined to a fairly small area along the Algerian border - the rest of the country has a wide range of geography ranging from a bracing Atlantic Coast in the west, a not so bracing Mediterranean coast in the north, high ranges of mountains in the middle (where you can ski in winter if that floats your boat) and increasingly hot and dry as you get further south. No experience of the disputed Western Sahara area but these days rather than picking your way through minefields, there is a new tarred road.

My passion is long range independent 4x4 expeditions and if that is what you are considering then books by Tom Sheppard and Chris Scott are essential reading but inevitably, rather than bushcraft, they focus on vehicle preparation, driving techniques, navigation, the practicalities of living and working in arid environments (don’t camp in a wadi!) assuming that you have a functioning vehicle and supplies and what to do if it all goes t!ts up.

4AE4E708-4EBF-4FA9-9947-60F82E8CEF1F.jpeg

I love having the freedom to disappear into deserts for days at a time hardly seeing another soul but recognise that (a bit like solo sailing), without a functioning vehicle or water it would very quickly become a survival situation rather than a gentle RM style bimble collecting sustainance from the local flora along the way.

As Broch says, wonderful country, great scenery, delicious food and fantastic people especially if you can get away from the routes plied by the organised tour groups where hustling and begging can be annoying and the campsites on the edge of towns in the south where grumpy French pensioner snowbirds congregate in the winter to avoid paying heating bills back home.

Desert skies are amazing at night - take a guide book and/or download one of those phone/tablet apps that show the constellations etc.

Nothing to do with bushcraft but please do not hand out sweets, pens or other stuff to kids or anyone else - I drove slowly past a school in a small town to avoid stirring up the dust and all the pupils ran out and chased me down the road screaming “stylo” and “bonbon” because someone (who would presumably be appalled at the idea of a rich foreigner hanging around outside a school in their home country handing out presents to kids), had once thought they would be making the world a better place by giving them pens.

Look forward to reading the trip report. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
I have been before and found that most of the survival advice is a bit misleading, especially the condensation collection. I think most of it was written during WWII and was intended to give pilots hope rather than any useful tips. Unfortunately some of it is still taught today.

Deserts are fairly baren of course. But I am looking for any tips on hand drill woods/trees that may be found in the area. Sand hole/bottle traps. Like I said, the options are very limited.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have been before and found that most of the survival advice is a bit misleading, especially the condensation collection. I think most of it was written during WWII and was intended to give pilots hope rather than any useful tips. Unfortunately some of it is still taught today.

Nah, it works, believe me. I have spent a fair bit of time with arid land folk and I've never seen anyone light a fire using hand drill in the desert. Maybe I've been in the wrong place :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I assume you will still carry backup firemaking tech?
Sulphur matches are very oldfashioned. Around 2 millenia old tech.

As a kid we would always light our fires with a magnifying glass; takes no time at all in North Africa :) I've seen old men do it with their glasses! (Oops, I'm probably older than they were now :( )

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Magnifying glass is not a bad idea for the OP. Marocco does have a few more sun hours a year than UK or Scandinavia! Combined!

Old? You? Nah!

I like old tech. Reliable. I like matches. This newfangled alloy you damage your knife on is too modern fir me....
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE