more woodstoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I just went to a local sheet metal workers and asked them if they had any stainless steel sheet offcuts, a few mintues and a couple of quid later I left with an armful :D

Scoops

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
jon r said:
where can you get this kind of metal from? :confused:

i get mine from work. i can have all the ofcuts i want at the mo :)
i might try one from a bit of descent aluminium. ;)will have to see as i have a seax and a mace to finish first.
chris

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Here is a question for all you materials anoraks (you know who you are - James et al)

If I wanted to purchase some titanium to make lightweight stove etc what grade of titanium would be best?

David

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Peter,

I understand it's hard to work but after seeing Scoops_uk link to k-cut it got me thinking :)

Any idea on the type number of the titanium used in normal camping gear?

Thanks

david

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
6Al4V is used on some climbing gear AIUI due to it's strength; honestly haven't a clue what the cooksets would be made from! Lots of alloys - either a) which is cheapest or b) which the factory is geared to use.

(Although I can probably tell you what stainless your kitchen cookware is :) )

This lot have a good reputation for Ti - http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/ - mostly 6Al4V though.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Moduser or anyone else if you get in touch with k-cut (or another firm) before I do please let me know what they say (I'll do likewise) they were recommended by an engineer friend as good value, but how that works out in "Mr will you make my stove please" terms I'm not quite sure. How expensive will a one off prototype be ?????

I've not contacted them yet as I want to send a CAD file as a basis for a quote.

Scoops

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have never had such rough hands as when working with sheet titanium in the aircraft industry. The burrs and jaggs are sharper than any razor I've yet seen - you get lacerations by the dozen before you even know that you're bleeding. Even the tiny cuts leave a dark line on your skin for weeks and callouses (sp) build up before your very eyes.
Stainless should be plenty sufficient for a woodstove and is considerably easier to work - though its still a sod compared to ally ;)

Good luck if you insist on using titanium

Ogri the trog

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
your main concern is the material you want to make the stove from?
Fuel consumption, boil time etc is no criteria? And what about soot that blackens your pot?

Butane/propane stoves don´t mess up pots with soot and other unwanted stuff (ever used an Esbit :neo2: stove ?) - unfortunately you´ll have to carry fuel canisters.

Ever thought of getting the best out of both worlds?
Here´s some help from Dr. Tom Reed
www.woodgas.com - they sell a ready to use stove made by spenton
www.spenton.com

If it isn´t big enough try www.crest.org/discussiongroups/resources/stoves/nicaragua/Compventstove.html

simple homemade types
www.garlington.biz/Ray/WoodGasStove/Jumbo/index.htm
www.imrisk.com/woodgas/ddstove.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE