More Svord Mini's

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I'm probably getting boring but I thought I'd share :)

I needed to make another Svord Mini, so decided that if I was making one, I'd save time and make a couple.

I made two with the last of my elm and had some Buffalo horn from a buy on here from resnikov - cheers fella. It's a devil to work but I love the result.

f8f28d126c6866ce255c266d94b9f998_zpsab62966f.jpg

cfadab4aaad1fbf4b3f65e50bc97f92d_zps34558805.jpg

1076c5791ead5991cba333f0aa6f7b8c_zpsc7ae4cab.jpg

Your comments always welcome :red:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Cheers for that. High praise

Is was a swine to cut, then to shape, then to sand. And the slim spacer down the spine was just as fun to get under 2mm and flat. But I do love it now its done.

The Mrs then said 'is it plastic' :rant:

I'd submit the buffalo one to the knife making comp under the bought blade category...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Cheers for that. High praise

Is was a swine to cut, then to shape, then to sand. And the slim spacer down the spine was just as fun to get under 2mm and flat. But I do love it now its done.

The Mrs then said 'is it plastic' :rant:

Get yourself a Japanese saw rasp. Chews thought it like butter.

That spacer must've been a labour of love. Would love to see a brass spacer on your next one ;)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Will keep my eye out for one.

Picked up some 1.5mm brass off eBay cheap. May be just a bit thin so will have to try it. Agreed it should look good with the brass pins.

Would love to think it would be worth making them to sell, but the hours of work just don't make it viable. Not with my little shed and hand tools. But may have to think of selling a few at some future time as there is only so many Svords you can own. I've cut some spalted alder (seems a bit light but will try it) to see how this looks. Also have an idea to try an antler tine too.

Get yourself a Japanese saw rasp. Chews thought it like butter.

That spacer must've been a labour of love. Would love to see a brass spacer on your next one ;)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Well under 3" and non-locking so ticks the box. I've not got the biggest hands in the world but yeh, they are a decent size. That's why I think the full size Peasant is over large as EDC. It's just bulkier again.

Thanks. They're bigger than I imagined too, and they're legal EDC in the UK? Impressive.

Washing basket? Oh yeah ... points ... sniggers.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
What would be the cost of one of these little stunners bud??????
With Father's Day coming up wink wink might have to drop a few subtle hints to mrs tat2trev .
Top top work you should be proud of what you've made

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice work!

Got a standard peasant coming in the post today (hopefully), orange one with intentions of making new scales and brass lining/spaceing it! last oen I had was in walnut and was nice, but I don't have ot any more and need one for my collection again. Fancy doing the handle shapes different though, gona do a square top end instead of round as to shrink the bigger blade a little and hide the choil type part.

here's my old one..

scales generously gifted to me by our very talented forumite HillBill! :)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Nice work!

Got a standard peasant coming in the post today (hopefully), orange one with intentions of making new scales and brass lining/spaceing it! last oen I had was in walnut and was nice, but I don't have ot any more and need one for my collection again. Fancy doing the handle shapes differe
nt though, gona do a square top end instead of round as to shrink the bigger blade a little and hide the choil type part.

here's my old one..

scales generously gifted to me by our very talented forumite HillBill! :)
that's a nice looking knife bud very nice

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
That walnut looks so good

I'm not a maker (but debating it) so cannot sell on here yet. I've chatted with a mate about it and if I could upgrade my membership to maker I may consider it. My problem is, would they sell? And if so for how much. Don't get me wrong, the hours that go into it don't justify it at all. But just factoring covering costs and a pint for me :) they are still not going to work out cheap.

So if I'm allowed to ask, without breaking any rules, would you buy one? Not now, as I'm busy. But if I listed any in future. Would you buy one, and how much for?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hmm, down to you really on the price. I think the going rate for a handle job on a fixed blade is around £30 though, so factor in the stock knife of £12 and the materials used etc and maybe around £45-£50 for a finished one. Cheaper is better but only for the buyer, so try to figure out a best of both worlds :)

My orange handled svord came a few minutes ago.. sending it back! the last svord I had was nice but this one is more than just rough around the edges! Rich at HH said he'll pick a decent one for me, so fingers crossed! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE