More Spoons

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Getting the hang of this carving lark I think - still a long way to go I think but hey if I post a pic now I can look back and laugh in the future if I actually improve
ashamed053611282jy0.gif

dscf48310026308.jpg

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
thanks mate - I'm particularly please with that one and it is even more curvy in real life - I'll try to take a better pic tomorrow....

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
ooo look lovely. And gives me inspiration. Mind if I try and copy to get my skills up?

Which wood did you use? Any wood treatment. and finally, any sandpaper?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I really like the wood grain. Everything I carv seems to be one colour with no sign of the grain. How do you guys pick your wood so it looks so lovely with that grain?

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
ooo look lovely. And gives me inspiration. Mind if I try and copy to get my skills up?

Which wood did you use? Any wood treatment. and finally, any sandpaper?

copy away mate! - the spalted ones are birch and the 'duotone' are cherry from a friends garden. They are finished with a combination of sunflower and walnut oil. (when I say a combination I mean some were with sunflower and some with walnut not some secret recipe) and yup, I finished them with sandpaper so they are smoooooth. I could have left them just cut but I prefer them finished like this.

if you improve? i'd give my eye teeth for that level of carving ability.
all mine look erm a little more rustic shall we say

Mine were the same Sam then one day it just 'clicked' - keep at it mate and one day it will for you too I'm sure

I really like the wood grain. Everything I carv seems to be one colour with no sign of the grain. How do you guys pick your wood so it looks so lovely with that grain?

To be honest it was luck! - I found a big log of birch I was going to use for firewood but when I split it I found the wonderful spalting so saved it. The cherry was from a work colleague who mentioned they cutting down an old cherry tree so I lept at the opportunity and blagged a couple of logs (she was presented with a spoon the next morning
halosmileybf2.gif
)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE