*More* snow!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When I looked outside at six this morning I thought, "Oh good! :) "
The paths around the house were actually dry, the snow on the roofs was definitely melting and we had some colour in the world.
I was hopeful that since the street was clearing the Vulture might get down and empty the bins, that I might get some real fresh air, might finish my Christmas shopping, that the cat might go out and take the edge off her claws on a tree somewhere, that I could maybe hang out a washing, that the elderly relations might get out the door......then I sat down to my breakfast and realised the snow was on again :sigh:

We've got another four inches and it's still coming down heavily.
I'm getting thoroughly fed up of this.

cheers,
Toddy

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I've just been walking around a deserted Pollok Country Park - it's almost whiteout conditions!

And still no gritters on the roads, despite this all being forecast, grrrrrr.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
We've not had any snow for a couple of days now thankfully. We woke up this morning to -9C and freezing fog, The sun came out about half an hour ago, still bitterly cold

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
Snows melted here, just got paths coverd in ice and now freezing fog.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well ours is now treacherous patches of ice. Wish it was snow here but you drive along the road and see what looks like shiny water going across the road then you look at the car's temp sensor reading and it says -9C. That's when I slowed down. I could be wrong but a thin veneer of water would not be water but ice at that temperature. When will it get warmer? If not warmer then at least let it snow enough so I can't get to work. It would need something as there is a station near me about 5 mins away. Its not the main west coast line but it is on the same tracks and is unlikely to close. At the other end I am 15 minutes walk from work. I've come to the conclusion I chose the wrong place to live.
Can we have some of your snow Toddy?

Lakes was very beautiful on sunday. A nice walk although low level. Saturday the mist was down and the Hellvellyn hills looked pretty dire to be in it. Very bad visibility so good navigation skills I reckon on the saturday if you were up there. The funny thing in Coniston on saturday was a couple walking around the place carrying skis A bunch of posers walking up and down, backwards and forwards for quite some time. I seriuosly doubt there is anywhere good to ski up there. IMHO the eastern fells are better places for it. You seen any posers with overblown kit in your neck of the woods? Last year it was snow shoes on rucksacks in AMbleside and Keswick. Not that deep snow that it made walking so hard you'd need the extra weight on your feet.

Toddy - is this fresh snow or on top of a lot already? How deep in total is the snow where you are?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
It's real bad out here in East Kilbride. Looked out and thought 'meh doesn't look too heavy' then once we were out on the roads I realised how bad it was getting. Had to turn back before the motorway and call in to work.

Think it'll keep up tomorrow?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Supposedly this weather front is supposed to last until early afternoon.
We've got six inches of fresh snow now :sigh: and on the side roads that's on top of compacted icy slush.
The snow we had, had melted to about four inches by early this morning and cleared paths and pavements were actually dry :)
Swamped again :(

cheers,
M

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is the 12th day for us.
To be honest, the worst has long gone now and currently the only real issues are estate/side roads and ice everywhere.

we still have a foot or so on the ground (off the roads) and its 3-4 feet deep in places in the woods and across the tops.

PS: The same happened to us last week Mary. We had about 4-6 inches,over a day or two then it eased right off. Then it guffed down and we had about a foot in 6 hours!, then it just kept coming in heavy showers for a few days after that.

R.B.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Similar situation here Mary,
Snow on the roads melted just enough yesterday to turn to slush, which froze overnight into two parallel cresta runs all the way into town! Getting down the hill os scary enough, lets tackle getting back up when we have to.

Its forecast to go on till thursday down here, but at least I have the heating and water back in action.

Take care

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It hasn't stopped here since just after six am :sigh:

It's very pretty, but that's about all I can say good about it.

cheers,
N

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
we've had fog for the last two nights, real pea soupers, thing is its then coated everything in a sheet of ice so it was a bit treacherous this morning getting my eldest to school.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Snow? What snow? I'm in a corridor across Cambridgeshire that has almost totally been missed by the snow (not that that's a bad thing!).

Seriously, I hope it soon eases a bit for you folks who are suffering with too much of the stuff. I know it can be very harsh.

Dave

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Started snowing here now. Plus the work's heating has been fixed after over a week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE