More on bottling

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I do intend trying it.

I have a few kilner jars, but they are the old fashioned sort with the glass lids (and are of obdurate shapes) I read that the modern metal lidded ones are better.

But the only new preserving jars on Ebay are the old type (rather pricey, I can get from my local DIY....but they sell no spare rubber rings (you have to go to an old fasioned ironmongers for these) and so I rather suspect they are peddled for the purpose of storage, and not their true use)

The only metal lidded type on Ebay are second hand (and fetch a premiun)

what do you do?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
New metal lid bottling jars can be had from Wares of Knutsford or Ascott small holder supplies Tengu

Red

ganstey

Settler
Hi Tengu,

Not sure where in Wilts you are, but HJ Knee (old fashioned department store) in Trowbridge sells a range of Kilner jars complete with rubber seals. Not sure of the price, but if there other stuff is any guide, then they'll be reasonably priced.

G

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
The metal (or plastic) 'lids' on a proper kilner jar are really screw closures & only there to achieve an efficient seal during processing. It's the rubber ring and glass lid that stays on afterwards & once they've achieved a secure vacuum seal, you are actually meant to remove the screw part for storage.

Have a look at this site (if you haven't come across it before), it has information about 'true' Kilner jars and instructions on their use: http://www.kilnerjarsuk.co.uk/

The other type of good preserving jar is the Le Parfait style with a clip metal closure. It too has a glass lid and rubber sealing ring. Either type is effective I've found as long as you process them properly.

One thing to avoid though, are jars that have silicon ring seals. These are not very effective - or at least I've never found them to be so.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ill remember that.

And Ill get in contact with the Womens Institute, they still promote home preservation.

http://www.kneesnet.co.uk/

Here we have it, that does look resonably priced. Ill have to find an excuse to visit

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Ahh. I haven't used Leifheit jars, although they look as though they still work in a similar way to the Kilner - the only differences being that metal disk lid seal instead of the glass one and I'm presuming that it doesn't need to use a rubber sealing ring either as I can't see any mentioned.

Interesting! They seem more common/popular in America than over here.

I wonder, can you re-use those lids or will you need to use a brand new one for each subsequent batch of foodstuff?

Here's some stuff that might interest folks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preservatio...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215514395&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preserving-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215514395&sr=1-1

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You have to buy new metal lids (which have an integral seal) each use - a couple of quid for a dozen - rings and jars can be re-used though. The integral metal lid and seal seems to be pretty standard now with Ball, Leifheit and Kilner all using them

Red

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Thanks Red, that's what I thought. So it could pay to lay a store of those by should you need them in future. I think my only concern might be availability for Leifheits. Worth thinking about though.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There seem to be a few "standard" sizes but it is always a concern to me where there are "consumables" that they might not be available later and the jars become useless (and they aren't cheap to be honest).

The sprung le parfaits are better for that as the replacement seals seem pretty universal above 0.5 litre but I simply would not trust that type for pressure canning

Red

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Leading me neatly onto another question! (Sorry Tengu, don't mean to hijack your thread)

Do you have a pressure canner? (And if you do, how would you rate it?)

It's another thing that seems to be far more common in the US than over here where they're rarer than hen's teeth.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My Grandfather, Father, and I and now my niece all depend on this, slightly laughable, book to make Marmalade, Jam, Chutney etc. I can see no reason why it should be any business of the government to produce a book like this, but they have and its indispensible.

On the first book, which is the Govt/WI collabouration.

I have a few books of my own, Ill list them later

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
COTW,

Not currently - its on my radar as a "must try" since I'm not happy water bath canning low acid foods. Fortunately I have some good friends in the US who can help me out getting harder to obtain items for "homesteading" as they call it (or self sufficiency to me).

Red

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Tengu, that made me smile too - seems like a backhanded sort of compliment!

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with a pressure canner Red, I must spend some more time delving into the American websites for more information about the process.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, that shop, Knees of Trowbridge have a branch in Malmsbury too.

So I moseyed on over and got some bottles, 4 0.75 ltr and 6 0.5 ltr ones

This cost me £20.50

They also do 0.25 ltr and 1 ltr ones; dont get the little ones, they are jam jars and not true bottling jars.

Im going to the PYO tommorrow....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Bottled six bottles of raspberries, blackcurrants and strawberries today. The seal must have taken as the lid has sucked in.

do be sure to select the smallest strawberries.

Those fruits really shrink, dont they? I filled each jar, (mostly half litre, but one three quarters) and now they are mostly syrup.

the prices compare favorably with bought tinned fruit. I havent tried them yet, Ill leave a couple of weeks to see if they stay sound.

I did them by cooking in the oven, one and a half hours at 150c as the book reccomends. this was in syrup (5oz sugar boiled for a minute in 1 pint water, then left to cool slightly. though I think that should be varied according to the fruit) this was sat in a baking tin in an inch of water

do be sure to leave the lid loose, then tighten slowly as they cool. (and put on an insulating board so the cold worktop doesnt stress the glass.

I also tried a clip top jar with the remaining fruit, that has also sealed, so maybe in the future Ill use my clip top jars and keep the screw top ones for vegtables

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I mostly use clip jars and sometimes they seal so well it's a total barsteward to get them to open again!

Thank goodness for the little tab they put onto the rubber seals - if you can give that a concerted enough yank it eventually breaks the vaccum but it can't half be hard work. :eek:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your right there, you can buy fruit bottled in clip top jars at xmas...not cheap! and they are tricky to open.

This weekend Im going to the market, last week they had pears and peaches going very cheap. Ill add a few cherries and make a fruit cocktail.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A friend has given me 30 kilner jars!

mostly the dual purpose, I checked with the Kilner jar place, and they said that the leifheit lids can be used with them.

Im going to be very busy next few weeks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE