More Fan Birds

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Been messing around making a few more birds this afternoon to replace the ones i sold at last weekends show.

Few of the ones made this afternoon resting in the sun on the lawn, sorry on the clover

DSCN7448.jpg

Experiment with a bit of colour, l called it a kingfisher to begin with, but it looks more like a Hummingbird to me now

DSCN7454.jpg

Hummingbird

DSCN7456.jpg

Just a bird

DSCN7467.jpg

Another Hummingbird

DSCN7501.jpg

same bird, but face on

DSCN7509.jpg

few more to make tomorrow, the feathers on these are a bit thick in places, but, im getting there slowly.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I really love them. Seen the principle a while ago, but never tried as it looks way too fiddly. But you seem to have it down. Love the blue edged one. Bit of orange in there and you may have your kingfisher :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Some lovely looking birds there Mark. I can see why they sell quick with that quality of carving :)

What wood are you using to make them?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely work there :)

Ed

Thanks Ed

I really love them. Seen the principle a while ago, but never tried as it looks way too fiddly. But you seem to have it down. Love the blue edged one. Bit of orange in there and you may have your kingfisher :)

Cheers mate, not as fiddly as you might think, shame you are so far up north otherwise id say pop round and i'll show you how i do it, wanna know something silly, i had an orange pen in my hand when i did the blue and decided against it, still, gives me an excuse to make another one today

Some lovely looking birds there Mark. I can see why they sell quick with that quality of carving :)

What wood are you using to make them?

Thanks Steve, im using Ash as it has nice long fibres for the strength needed and of course it splits well

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Well nice, I remember seeing them around christmas on here and thinking I should give that a go....

Kinda reminds me of:-
pablo-picasso-dove-of-peace_zpsb51fea51.jpg

for some reason.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
They're lovely - intricate-looking without being fussy.......how long does it take to carve one when you're in the swing of it?...................atb mac

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
They're lovely - intricate-looking without being fussy.......how long does it take to carve one when you're in the swing of it?...................atb mac

Ive absolutely no idea Mac, i was asked the same question last week and i still didnt time myself yesterday, but it doesn't take long once you get into it, i will deffo time it next time.

Quality those Mark :)

Cheers Mark

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Those are really very nice. Is there any chance you could do a tutorial of how you make them please? I think I'd like to have a go at making one of those. Hmmm my google-fu seems to be working today, I just found a couple of videos on youtube. Now I just need to source some Ash wood.

Incidentally I can see the hummingbird in there too.

goodjob

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Those are really very nice. Is there any chance you could do a tutorial of how you make them please? I think I'd like to have a go at making one of those. Hmmm my google-fu seems to be working today, I just found a couple of videos on youtube. Now I just need to source some Ash wood.

Incidentally I can see the hummingbird in there too.

goodjob

Cheers Biker.

Were the video's you found the ones that Sean Hellman did?, if they are, they are the ones that inspired me to have have a go at them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE