More bone bits

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The weather kept me in so i had a go at shaping the spare bits of bone i chopped up. I've done a couple of clothes pins, a hair pin for herself (she cut me some slack as I havent carved bone before this last week ;D) a couple of nalbinding needles (I like to make my hints heavy) and a bunch of needles. the block at the top is a blank for a small buckle I intend to make. Oh I also did a round and a square section awl to fit handles to later.

BonePins01_zpsd673e6fa.jpg

Mousepin02_zpsb57ca7d5.jpg

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are very nice indeed - I do like bone.............strikes me that a couple of them might make excellent fids for small stuff, though I can't get the scale of them................Good way to see off a stormy day!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks for the kinds words! :D

Ive just given them a rub with Renaisance Wax after a final rub down with fine wire wool. I couldn't resist attacking a couple with my Yankee ring and dot auger. I must admit they were fun to make, I'll have to go through the book on bone and horn working and see what other simple stuff there is I can do.

uw more replies while I typed the above,

Yup herself likes the mouse as well (glad some one else can tell what its meant to be!).

The two Nalbinding needles two and three up on the right are 4 inches long, the 3rd up on the left I did as a awl/fid/spikey thing, I need to turn a handle for it, the one above that is a square section awl.

I roughed out the shapes on a big belt sander/sanding disc thing but the rest was done with sandpaper, scalpels, a bone saw and a neat little plastic modelers hand cranked drill that I've found a lot more accurate when doing fiddly little stuff.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sure, when I get another bone ( already cleaned they are about a quid from the pet shop) ill take some pics as I go along. I pretty much winged it, treating it like brittle plastic to be honest. Having a belt sander speeded up the process a lot , it saved me a lot of precise sawing. Then again if I'd sawn it down more I'd have made quite a few more of the smaller needles from the "waste" bits that just got turned to dust using the big sander.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks! :D

From the positive feedback ill have to make some more for presents and maybe trade goods. Well, as a excuse to make some more mainly! But if I do what would folk like most? I'm not taking orders , like, but apart from the smell and having to wear a filter mask the process was fun, better than painting the kids Space Marines anyway! Herself is keen to get some more carved hair pins out of me ( trying to find pics of one, dug up in Dublin I think, with a hares head I thought rather cute ).

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE