Mora, who's is the best

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Does anyone have an opinion on which company makes the best "Mora". The two companies that I have managed to find are Frosts and Eriksson.

Are there differences in material specification between the two manufacturers?

Any info gratefully received.

Barney

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
There's quite a few companies who make the basic little red wooden handled model - I've no heard much bad about any of them - the only negative comments come from people who believe they are too weak as they wish to pry or dig with them.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thanks for the replies, I ordered the Eriksson after looking at the x-rays, due to the longer tang. As was earlier suggested they arrived tagged "Mora of Sweden". I thought the edges looked a bit rough but they still shaved ok. After 1/2 hr sharpening with love and attention they are summat else.

I have an old cherry tree trunk in the shed. I think I will make a handle for it.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Old Jimbo, (I don't know if he posts here anymore) I think did a really great review of the Frosts and Eriksson knives on his webpage which at the moment I can't remember the URL for. (But it's probab,g out there somewhere). If I remember correctly, he found the Frosts model to be superior to the Eriksson model. Mind you, this is quite trivial now that the two companies have merged (and the website is TERRIBLE) but if someone is looking into purchasing an older knife, then I'd suggest going for a Frost rather than an Eriksson. And I'd also recommend buying the stainless variety as they hold just as good an edge as the high-carbon. 12c27 Sandvik is amazing blade steel, provided that it's properly tempered.

Cheers,

Adam

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Addyb

The principle reason I bought the knife was so that I could mess about with it a bit trying to make a handle and a sheath etc. ITs funny how things turn out though, as yesterday we visited the game fair and my son was given a knife blank that had just been forged by Bjarne Rasmussen, anyway we got chatting and I thanked him for his kindness when bejeysus he gave me one as well :)). I cannot thank Per and Bjarne enough. I attempted to buy the rest of a kit from Per as they had been kind enough to give us the blanks, and the genuineness of the guy was heartwarming- he tried to direct me the stall of another knife maker saying that we could probably buy the bits for the handle etc cheaper over there as he had only brought along expensive stabilized woods. How cool was that?

Anyway I bought his stuff anyway :) Lovely Masur Birch.

I then totally lost the plot and bought a strip of 12c27 stainless, I am pleased it could turn out to be decent gear, and some ivory linen micarta scales. LOL.

Within a few days I have gone from thinking about having a fettle with a blade: too having two Mora's, two hand forged blanks and a bit of stainless to mess around with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE