Mora triflex or helle eggen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 15, 2010
paris
Hi,

I'm new here and fresh in bushcraft. A new knive can help me out. At the moment I work with an opinel, but it is not so strong. Now I'm looking for a good knive, not too expensive because I still don't know exactly what is the best option for me.

So my question: Is the helle eggen a durable knive, the price worth comparing the cheaper mora triflex? Or is it only the romantic original helle-feeling you buy?

What would be the best (durable) choise?

Thx,
grtz,

Bart

Last edited:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Either knife will serve you well and bothe have a good reputation so its a matter of choosing what suits you and which like best to look at, hold and use.
I would go for the Eggen myself if I had tyo choose between them but I prefer wood.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
If you had to choose between two knives price being no object I'd go for the Eggen, BUT, as you said you don't know exactly what you are looking for yet so I would go for a relatively cheap knife like a triflex or a mora clipper because you don't want to buy the Eggen then find you want a different blade shape.

Jul 15, 2010
paris
Thank you for the replies. @ Lurch, can you explane why precisely the mora is a more sensible choice?

My concerne is that the Helle eggen is less durable and more esthetic / confortable. Do I interpret it right when I think the Mora is tougher?

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
They are both great knives and will serve you well if you treat them with respect. The Helle is the higher quality of the two, but comes in at over twice the price of the Mora. I've had the privalidge of working with both recently, the Mora Bushcraft Triflex is my favorite from the new Mora Bushcraft range, but it's not in the same asthetic league ar the Helle.

The Mora will service all your needs and won't let you down, so until you know a little more about the kind of knife you want, the 'Sensible' choice is the much cheaper Mora (hence Lurch's comment I assume).

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
The mora is certainly the more durable if utilitarian choice.
I have some reservations about the Eggen as a hard working bush blade, the build and interface twixt wood and steel puts strain on the wood if you apply torsion to the blade as you might if splitting tough wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE