Mora stacked leather and birchbark handle

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I have had this blade laying in the shop for a few years, it's a 6" carbon steel mora purchased from lee valley tools. I finally decided to give it a handle......here it is

40e782fc-37c0-6fea.jpg

40e782fc-37e8-eb08.jpg

40e782fc-3800-64ec.jpg

40e782fc-3816-4032.jpg

40e782fc-3834-9a91.jpg

40e782fc-384d-c6a7.jpg

40e782fc-386c-8b11.jpg

40e782fc-3881-8c59.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh nicely done :)

I've a Lauri blade sitting and all the pieces cut from birchbark (native stuff so you can imagine how many I had to cut :rolleyes:) but that's as far as it's gotten.
Thanks for the photos :D might inspire me to finish the one I have.

atb,
Toddy

Edcraft

Forager
Apr 17, 2012
Liverpool
Quality! What glue did you use mate? and what material are the metal disks?

I've got a standard green mora, but I don't like the plastic handle. Done a few before, but always 2 pieces, pinned together either side and wrapped with something. (Bicycle inner tube in one case lol)

What did you use to finish it with ?

Cheers, Ed

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice work. I have a mora blade lying around, may do something like that myself.

have a go its worth a try

Oh nicely done :)

I've a Lauri blade sitting and all the pieces cut from birchbark (native stuff so you can imagine how many I had to cut :rolleyes:) but that's as far as it's gotten.
Thanks for the photos :D might inspire me to finish the one I have.

atb,
Toddy

No need for glue either clamp it tight or clamp it tight and put in the oven at 100 deg C and it will be fine I have done this both ways and its fine lastest to be shown soon

Quality! What glue did you use mate? and what material are the metal disks?

I've got a standard green mora, but I don't like the plastic handle. Done a few before, but always 2 pieces, pinned together either side and wrapped with something. (Bicycle inner tube in one case lol)

What did you use to finish it with ?

Cheers, Ed

Green plastic handled mora is likely to have a short tang see below

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=6pWVT4OfD4TU8gOJkunNDA&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQ8wIwAQ

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
hmm yeah saw a pic of the tang on them. Think I'll leave it alone.
You could rehandle it. Either a "dead end" hole and epoxy, or making it a two part handle, with a hollowed out nest for the tang, again epoxy to join it all up. My carver is a Brusletto blade that has about the same tang as the plastic moras, drilled into a chunk of birch, filed until it was snug, and filled with epoxy. No problems for two years of carving.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Lovely handle there, I never heard about handling a knife with birch bark before so thank you, you broadened my world ^^
And nice looking job, cant wait to see the glues-less one, very interested about that one.
And Kepis, Looks a shocker topjob, I really like this handling style.
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE