Mora life span

CurtisJohnson

Jun 7, 2012
Durham
Hey guys, Its been a while :/

Just wanted to know how long you guys think my mora companion would last? It's a carbon steel model and I've had it about 3, maybe 4 months. It got a few large scratches and I periodically remove rust or other blemishes using fine wet and dry paper. I know this is a vague question and I know that it all depends on how well it is maintained, so how should I properly care for my knife to make it last along as it can?

Cheers guys,
Curtis

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Normal wear and tear, maybe 20 years or more. What wears a knife out is sharpening. Don't over-sharpen your knife and it will last a LONG time. If you carve a lot and therefore sharpen a lot, life expectancy will be shorter. Of course, beating on your knife with a baton or axe could have a life-shortening effect. :)

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I seem to only have them a few days or weeks before I end up giving them away. I have never had one long enough to re-sharpen it.
Like Hoodoo said, dont abuse it by beating it with a log and it will last for years.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Start stropping it after sharpening to remove dings and it'll probably outlast you. Once it's sharp and has no dings it shouldn't touch a stone or sharpener until you take chunks out of it again, just strop it regularly. If you keep using stones you'll have a nice filet knife in 20 years time, nothing wrong with that :D

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive got a Carbon Clipper here that i must for 6 years old or more, ive battoned with it, dropped it, used it in Salt water and generally abused it and it's still going strong, all i do it wipe it clean now and again and give it a good strop, the only time i take it sharpening system is when the cutting edge has been dinged.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Ive got a Carbon Clipper here that i must for 6 years old or more, ive battoned with it, dropped it, used it in Salt water and generally abused it and it's still going strong, all i do it wipe it clean now and again and give it a good strop, the only time i take it sharpening system is when the cutting edge has been dinged.

That sounds about right to me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE