Mora edge problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Hello,

This is my first post here so please excuse my bad English and manners. :rolleyes:

On the woodlore website it says that the 30t anniversary mora robust knife has a single flat bevel,
I bought one from woodlore, and it has a microbevel on the edge. :bluThinki
Is it possible to sharpen it away with an 800 gritt king waterstone?
And if so how long would it take?

All replies are appreciated.

Niels

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
All moras have some secondary bevel, its a result of their final sharpening process. Is the knife stainless or carbon? It doesnt take long to flatten but I find the stainless whilst a good steel is not that tough and can roll easily at the edge. A secondary bevel stops this to some extent. This is not a problem with the carbon steel.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
As long as its a micro secondary bevel, you wont really notice any difference and they are quicker to keep sharp, with just a few wipes of a hone.

You will also get much better edge retention too.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks for the replies.
I'm familiar with that thread, but I hoped this knife could have a flat bevel, because it's thicker.
The knife is carbon steel, and I just really don't like microbevels. (I find them difficult to sharpen)

I also have a stainless mora which is only 2 millimeters thick as opposed to the robust which is 3 mill.
The grind on this stainless one is about as high as the one on the robust, and I found that it rolls without a microbevel.

I feel it's kind of unfair that it state's in the description on the RM website that the knife ''Features a single flat bevel'' and still arrives with a microbevel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE