Mora Companion Clipper Carbon 840 Steel Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Just picked up the Mora Companion Clipper Carbon 840 Steel Knife as the second item in my new collection of equipment. (First being the TBS firesteel)

New to practicing bushcraft, but I have read many positive reviews on this knife, and the price is incredible!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
What tasks do you complete using your Mora knife ?

I have several, from hook knives, and carving knives, stainless steel and high carbon knives, and robust to to clipper knives. Stainless are good for food prep, and can be put in a dishwasher, the robust is a good all round camp knife, and obviously the hook and carvers for spoons and whittling/carving.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
I have several, from hook knives, and carving knives, stainless steel and high carbon knives, and robust to to clipper knives. Stainless are good for food prep, and can be put in a dishwasher, the robust is a good all round camp knife, and obviously the hook and carvers for spoons and whittling/carving.

What kind of tasks can I expect my knife to perform other than food prep?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
As they are cheap you can use them for everything. Horrible tasks like gouging out nails from wood, dplitting small wood to filleting fish.

When me and my son are on our fishing trips, he uses a Mora with a large carbon blade for cutting out the fillets, I use a Global to trim them and remove the skin, and a Mora to remove the cheeks from the fish.

Mora for work that can damage the edge, other more expensive knives for the rest.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yup the Mora is a great all rounder - not the prettiest, not the most "indestructable" but worthy of everybody's attention.
Great for learning skills with - if you mess up the edge you can learn how to sharpen them, mess that up too then it is cheap enough to buy a new one!
They are hard to destroy completely :)
Well worth having - I have loads of the Stainless ones as "teaching" knives ... even if a student does destroy the knife I will not cry for long :)
I use an older version Mora as my "workshop knife" and it does everything from open cans of paint to fine carving...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would say that my only problem with Mora knifes is that I tend to criminally abuse them. Instead of getting a flat screwdriver to open a can of paint, if a Mora is closer, I use that.
This horrible abuse will do serious damage, of course. Broken tips, gouged edges. But they are cheap...

I think I own about 6 Moras here in Cayman, none is in "showroom" condition. In Norway I own a similar number, and two are in excellent condition. Clean, no rust, sharp. Yes, blades are scratched, but that is ok.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Two tasks for you to practice that will go well with your fire steel.
1. Making feather sticks.
2. If you can find a dead birch tree or branch, try cutting out some birch bark. Really useful when lighting fires. Don't remove bark from a living tree though as it could kill the tree.
Welcome
Greg

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
All the Moras i have had were great, practical, indestructable, easy and quick to resharpen, and cheap.

But recently i am using the full tang Shrades. They are equally good and more robust.

Last edited:

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Two tasks for you to practice that will go well with your fire steel.
1. Making feather sticks.
2. If you can find a dead birch tree or branch, try cutting out some birch bark. Really useful when lighting fires. Don't remove bark from a living tree though as it could kill the tree.
Welcome
Greg

Yes I was watching some videos on feathering, can't wait to give it a go!

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like a great all round knife. I'm going to buy a sharpening block soon to maintain it, hopefully I'll choose my tasks carefully and not abuse the knife too much :D

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I have now fully embraced Mora knives having spend many years going round in circles.

Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed testing the custom and non custom knives to find what suits me most, Its just ironic that the cheap mora's tick so many boxes for me.

I love the scandi grind and how easy it is to maintain, the blade thickness and how its such a good slicer, I like the comfort of the handles, the variety of models and above all the price

My go to is my companion unless I'm on the water, then its my 440 I reach for. I just wish they'd do few more OD and orange models

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Sounds like I started with the right knife then.

Purchasing a Fallkniven DC4 Combination Sharpening Stone today to keep it maintained..

Is there any particular type of wood that is preferred for feathering?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE