mora 510 back in stock

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use both Clipper and 510. I prefer the 510 as the bevels are a bit longer so easier to keep flat on the stone when sharpening, and in the hand it just seems "right". The 510 sheath is also ambidexterous, so better suits a left-handed person.

Dave

rancid badger

The 510 is an excellent little tool spoiled by two things; one is the unnecessary "Ray Mears Bushcraft" branding, which is a fairly minor point. The other is the frankly shocking, plastic sheath, which is at best cheap and nasty and at worst, actually potentially dangerous.

The poorly designed sheath is something you get used to with Mora Knives, or you replace the sheath with a secure, after market, version. ( don't even consider Mora's own leather sheaths, they are rubbish too!)

There are a few differences between the Clipper and the 510, the main one being the overall size, the 510 being significantly smaller, more or less all round.

The 510, makes a quite good little work knife but also a reasonable whittler/carver too.

I think they are a reasonable knife, reasonably priced, even from Woodlore, where in general; you pay a premium for the name on most of their stock items.

It is nice to see that they have kept the price of their fireflash firesteels and blanks at a reasonable level, given that these are probably the best quality firesteels available, better than the L.M.F. versions and way better than anything I've seen from firesteel blank suppliers elsewhere.

So, two pretty good choices;)

Mind you, the 510 will be looking a little lost, if you use your new "Badger Sheath" to house it:) ( posted this morning John;))

cheers

Steve

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The 510 is a great bit of kit, it's the fixed blade i use for all sorts as it has a great feel and perfect blade for me..also it holds a razor edge even after loads of carving and whittling. The clipper i think has a better handle shape for beginners, maybe thats why it's so popular..that and the price of course. If i were you guys i'd buy a ray mears mora 510, as they for some reason discontinued it years ago and this my be the last chance for enthusiasts.

This is my 510..

AMK1.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Tbh mate I dont think the sheath as as bad as people say, it doesn't fall out and is merely a no fuss plastic sheath. Saying that..the belt loop on it is a joke..literally impossible to use unless you have a string belt. I cut mine off and tightly wrapped cord and made a twisted cordage type belt loop on it for a tempary solution. maybe a kydex wizz could fashion a slide on and fasten belt loop..so it could bottom knife retention to the sheath also.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
mine arrived,nice balance,sharp and light.
it wont replace a enzo or F1, but for the money its a cracker.
perfect for a go pack or as a backup.
i like the sheath i wouldnt put it on my belt,but its slim and easy to stuff in a corner of your bag or webbing.
the price is cheap as chips.

bonus is the ray mears stamp and a free woodlore sticker :D

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i got mine a couple of days ago, its bloody brilliant for all craft tasks, ive used it today to make a scandi style sheath. the blade size and shape is brilliant and i have no problems with the plastic handle, its pretty comfy too. the knife has a lovley balance and feels very solid.
the sheath is OK, the fit isnt so good i would prefer one in kydex to this one, kydex as i think that it goes better with synthetics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE