Mora #1 handle and sheath.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Looking good. Make sure you make the handle to fit comfortably into your own hand, and then blend some of the edges/lines down with sandpaper. The knife needs to be a user when you're done :) Get all of the tool marks out, decide on a finish and then go for it. One of the best and most magical things in making items out of wood, in my opinion, is the transformation that occurs through the use of finer and finer sandpaper, and then the addition of the finish. It is difficult to explain to people who dont make things, but very satisfying to get to the finish you want...

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Oh could have sworn I replied to this earlier.... done now anyway.

Thanks Humdrum, I ended up using Danish oil to give it a natural yet water resistant finish.

I completely agree bobbie, I'm addicted to woodwork, started with spoons (as a lot of bushcraft people do) and now I've made a few bits of furniture, candle holders, turned bowls and other small items, and recently making wooden jewellery for friends and family members, nothings more satisfying than getting a log from the forest and making it into something useful or beautiful (Or both).
Oh and on the sand paper front I went used the most I have ever... as I bought a pack and felt like trying them out. 100, 240, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1800, 3200, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000.
I'm not sure the last few did much but worth a go.

Enough of the rambling, here's the end product.
b4343ed53bc1150e5184bd7bee81268f.jpg

8ffc7cbd0c25277acc2b02a1cc465b7e.jpg

Thank you for the help and support on my first hidden tang and wooden sheath adventure. :D

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Looking good. Make sure you make the handle to fit comfortably into your own hand, and then blend some of the edges/lines down with sandpaper. The knife needs to be a user when you're done :) Get all of the tool marks out, decide on a finish and then go for it. One of the best and most magical things in making items out of wood, in my opinion, is the transformation that occurs through the use of finer and finer sandpaper, and then the addition of the finish. It is difficult to explain to people who dont make things, but very satisfying to get to the finish you want...

+1 on that mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE