Moonshiner Boots - Anti tracking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I was watching ' Ted K ' on Netflix or Prime the other day - obviously documenting the life and crimes of Ted Kaczynski's Unabomber life - in one scene which I assume is taken from his confession he is sabotaging a piece of timber machinery whilst wearing a set of shoes with a smaller set of instep shoes screwed to the bottom to give the profile impression of a smaller person being the culprit..

( After typing that up I realise their is a nice etymological link between Sabotage and the act in which he conducted it )

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
And then they see the depth of the impression and work out weight of individual. Not a small person but a man about xxx pounds and based on typical proportions a fairly narrow height range. I seriously doubt law enforcement, at a particular training level, would be fooled that easily. Especially the law enforcement likely to be looking for the unabomber.

Probably the best disguise is being average shoe size and average weight wearing a very common shoe brand. If you're lighter than average a rucksack of weight. If you're heavier lose weight before your bombing campaign. I'm fortunate in that my shoe size is very average. I'm tall but not overly heavy so perhaps a fat shorter man based on my footprints.

I have not given this much thought and I'm not on the run. Just to clarify. Besides for some reason I'm memorable. I often got greeted in the past by ppl I've never met who knew me like a friend. University years well spent?! Anyway I'm possibly not a good build to pass unnoticed if I was a terrorist or bootlegger type. Mind you one of my American ancesters did earn a bit selling illicit alcohol but she was an old lady then and sold to the great and the good so was protected! No fast car or funky shoes needed. I could imagine the car chase. A little old lady, barely able to look over the steering wheel, getting chased by cops in her Sunday best car at a few mph! Eventually stopped, but making a move sale in the process! :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
And then they see the depth of the impression and work out weight of individual. Not a small person but a man about xxx pounds and based on typical proportions a fairly narrow height range. I seriously doubt law enforcement, at a particular training level, would be fooled that easily. Especially the law enforcement likely to be looking for the unabomber.

Probably the best disguise is being average shoe size and average weight wearing a very common shoe brand. If you're lighter than average a rucksack of weight. If you're heavier lose weight before your bombing campaign. I'm fortunate in that my shoe size is very average. I'm tall but not overly heavy so perhaps a fat shorter man based on my footprints.

I have not given this much thought and I'm not on the run. Just to clarify. Besides for some reason I'm memorable. I often got greeted in the past by ppl I've never met who knew me like a friend. University years well spent?! Anyway I'm possibly not a good build to pass unnoticed if I was a terrorist or bootlegger type. Mind you one of my American ancesters did earn a bit selling illicit alcohol but she was an old lady then and sold to the great and the good so was protected! No fast car or funky shoes needed. I could imagine the car chase. A little old lady, barely able to look over the steering wheel, getting chased by cops in her Sunday best car at a few mph! Eventually stopped, but making a move sale in the process! :)

And yet it happened. Reality meets Theory.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Yep. Reevers (Cattle thieves) shod horses backwards. A tracker would know straight away but all they were looking for was a few minutes delay to disperse.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ideas vs reality, with reality that most pro trackers or forensics won't be fooled. It's the less professional say the old time posse made up of townsfolk or small town officer. It's scary how much information a skilled tracker gets from what he/she sees.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ideas vs reality, with reality that most pro trackers or forensics won't be fooled. It's the less professional say the old time posse made up of townsfolk or small town officer. It's scary how much information a skilled tracker gets from what he/she sees.

It is, which I cant attest to after doing quite a few tracking courses with skilled and experience served tracking teams.
However - they are now and I'm sure in the past were the exception rather than the rule.
The shoes above were created and used to fool/distract the local law enforcement in the moment ,not the detailed science backed forensic we tend to think of now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE