Monthly Build Along No. 3 Spoon Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Hot oil penetrates the wood and seals it more effectively. When you put the piece in the oil you see lots of little bubbles coming out as the air and water in the wood is replaced by the oil. Some bits more or less fizz! I leave it in until the bubbles stop. It gives a very good oil seal. It does darken the wood more than a cold oil finish though, which is not always desirable.

I do it by putting a whole bottle (or more) of walnut oil in a solid pyrex microwavable jug, for 3-4 minutes, until the oil is hot but not boiling. I then pour the oil into a tall glass with the spoon in it, as the narrower shape of the glass gives a greater oil depth.

For things like bowls I tend not to use the hot oil treatment, but if you want to you can sit the bowl in a metal tray and fill it with hot oil, and then pour hot oil over the outside afterwards.

ill have to try the hot oil treatment on my next one, ive always used plain old cooking oil, mainly because thats what i usually have with me at the time lol! ive managed to get another couple of hours at mine today and this is the result, defo not the best here but perfect for making tea so its done lol!
100_3466_zps644e1c8b.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not about being the best, but about the taking part (literally, in this thread). That's a nice spoon, and much more practical than my mini scoop.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Just started carving my second ever spoon. As my arms and hands are weak it will take a day or two (or more) before it is finished, but it's a good feeling to create something useful from a simple piece of wood!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hot oil penetrates the wood and seals it more effectively. When you put the piece in the oil you see lots of little bubbles coming out as the air and water in the wood is replaced by the oil. Some bits more or less fizz! I leave it in until the bubbles stop. It gives a very good oil seal. It does darken the wood more than a cold oil finish though, which is not always desirable.

I do it by putting a whole bottle (or more) of walnut oil in a solid pyrex microwavable jug, for 3-4 minutes, until the oil is hot but not boiling. I then pour the oil into a tall glass with the spoon in it, as the narrower shape of the glass gives a greater oil depth.

For things like bowls I tend not to use the hot oil treatment, but if you want to you can sit the bowl in a metal tray and fill it with hot oil, and then pour hot oil over the outside afterwards.

Right, ta. I'll have to use a saucepan as we don't possess a microwave :).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My effort
001.jpg
I had real problems with this one as I chose 18 month seasoned Hawthorn and decided to go for a scraped finish not a sanded finish - only to find that the wood had definite hard and soft bands ... which gave a very "stepped" result as the soft scraped out much faster than the hard!
I gave it my usual cold Flaxseed oiling.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
nice work John I have found hawthorn really hard and takes the edge off a blade.

I am reviewing a new knife (more later) and have split, whittled, feathered, carved a "Wood-Spirit" and a spoon all out of 18 month seasoned Hazel - and the knife is still sharp enough to cleanly slice freehanging newsprint and shave my arm.... without any stropping or anything!

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
There are some nice spoons here, it is good to see the progress of peoples carvings. My spoon was finished on the 1st July, but your right it was not done during July so I'll post my latest one as soon as I take a photo.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Some really good stuff here guys, and as one of the poster's said it isn't about haw good/bad the spoon looks it really is the taking part that counts, this thread is designed to get those of us thinking about doing it, to actually do it lol. and also those of us that have done it to do it again but a little better!

Can't wait to get into the woods for the raw material this weekend!!

Dave

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Don't be hard on yourself, I actually think that's quite a dandy little spoon. Well done.

ill have to try the hot oil treatment on my next one, ive always used plain old cooking oil, mainly because thats what i usually have with me at the time lol! ive managed to get another couple of hours at mine today and this is the result, defo not the best here but perfect for making tea so its done lol!
100_3466_zps644e1c8b.jpg

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Don't be hard on yourself, I actually think that's quite a dandy little spoon. Well done.

oh don't get me wrong ive tried it already its perfect for tea making and im chuffed to bits with it just not got as much detail and decoration as others. Its actually the first one ive ever kept, I usually make them at camp and leave them hung from a tree when I leave as markers for next time (there are several spots where there's a few hung about ) lol!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I've just finished my latest effort; pic to come tomorrow.

As promised:

s6BtjRnl.jpg

I have now taken to just running with however the wood I am using chooses to let me work it. I leave the natural twist in it once it splits, plus any knots that might be in the piece too. This one I can almost use to eat round corners!

dyMADdwl.jpg

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
That looks really nice I like the way you've gone with the wood rather than trying to make it conform :cool:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks, I think that one is my best overall effort.

I have been at a number of shows this year and seen lots of spoons for sale but nobody seems to do the "wobbly spoon" thing. I might have to go into production...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE