Monthly Build Along No. 3 Spoon Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Howdy chaps and chappettes

Its time for this months build along!

I'm going to keep it simple this time as there seemed to be more interest than there were completions to the last one.

Right this month you need to create a spoon, it can be bog standard or it can be really arty its completely up to you.

There are some real artisans on this community so i expect great things. The spoon needs to be made this month and needs pictures posting.

So get out there and show us all what you can do!

Thanks

Dave

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Sorry about the poor camera quality, did not have time to borrow my brothers decent camera as spoon this had to go.

P260613_1213_02_zpsd9027460.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Did 2, it's my first and second ever spoons. I like both but they're not in the usual league :). Doin them has taught me a lot and I even began to get the idea of using the point of the knife for some things too. #1 on the left, #2 on the right. #2 became left handed as a bit split off, I like it but it's quite odd! Both are in hazel and just oiled them with linseed.
sedy2a6y.jpg

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
P6300466.JPG

I carved this one last wednesday. There is a hole in the bowl, where an insect used to live before I spooned the branch. I sealed it with superglue, and I think it`ll hold up.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Looking good there guys, although the idea is that you make them from scratch between the beginning of this month and then end. So if they were made last month you need to make another lol.

Basically just to encourage you all to make a few more things.

Dave

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Does mine count then? I split the wood in about January, but until yesterday it was just half a round. All the carving was done yesterday afternoon.

Good thread idea though :)

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Looking good there guys, although the idea is that you make them from scratch between the beginning of this month and then end. So if they were made last month you need to make another lol.

Basically just to encourage you all to make a few more things.

Dave

That's ok then I only started yesterday morning :eek:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Does mine count then? I split the wood in about January, but until yesterday it was just half a round. All the carving was done yesterday afternoon.

Good thread idea though :)

Yeah that fine mate its the actual carving i'm on about. Don't want it to be too strict, but equally don't really want loads of pics saying here's one i made 6 months ago lol.

Dave

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Finished these this morning, Started them on sunday so I guess I'll have to make another set. :)

9215201776_86f7a1784f_z.jpg

Walnut oil hasn't really brought up the green splating on the spoon like it has on the spatula, is there another finish I could use to bring the colour out better?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
This stick was still alive this morning! Until my laplander killed it.

Here it is with the other half:

Things I used to attack the wood. I forgot the laplander.

Nowhere near as good as some of you guys' spoons. I still lack that eye for spoon design. Still it was great fun though. :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hot oil penetrates the wood and seals it more effectively. When you put the piece in the oil you see lots of little bubbles coming out as the air and water in the wood is replaced by the oil. Some bits more or less fizz! I leave it in until the bubbles stop. It gives a very good oil seal. It does darken the wood more than a cold oil finish though, which is not always desirable.

I do it by putting a whole bottle (or more) of walnut oil in a solid pyrex microwavable jug, for 3-4 minutes, until the oil is hot but not boiling. I then pour the oil into a tall glass with the spoon in it, as the narrower shape of the glass gives a greater oil depth.

For things like bowls I tend not to use the hot oil treatment, but if you want to you can sit the bowl in a metal tray and fill it with hot oil, and then pour hot oil over the outside afterwards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE