Monofilment knot needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
On the weekend whilst crawling about under a stage I broke the stitching on my zippo pouch (made for me 5 years ago by Singteck), I've just finished stitching it back up with doubled up 12lb fishing line.

Now here's the embarassing bit even though I've fished for nearly 20 years I'm not sure of a knot to use in this scenario. It's essentially a 'shoelace' knot I need, i.e. tying two loose strands together to pull down tight and not slip.

It's simply a situation I've never come across in fishing. Something like a reef knot I'm sure would be fine but as it's mono it'd just slip.

Help ??!!

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Yeah guess that'd be fine, a blob of superglue wouldn't hurt either I spose.

Blood knot's for joining two lengths together, however this is a 'shoelace' knot scenario.

Cheers.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Help ??!!

Do you actually need to join the ends together or is it just to finish off so that the stitches you've made so far don't come loose? When I've done things like that I've usually just carried on stitching the ends into the leather for quite a few stitches to finish off so that the 'working' stitches don't unravel. If you don't want the extra stitches to show you can do the finishing stitches invisibly, or on the back.

I'm not sure I'd have used a monofilament in that application but I'm sure that the sheath makers on the forum will have lots better advice than I can offer.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Thanks guys, I ran out of room for extra stitching and also as it's mono I'm not sure I'd trust it. I ended up using a triple surgeons then melted and glued. My zippo is of extreme sentimental value hence me being over cautious with the pouch.

Thanks again hive mind.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
When you've put your last stitch in, do it again thru' the same hole then push your needle under the last 3 or 4 stitches and trim it off. Should be ok, even with something as slippery as monofil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE