monday morning wonder

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
so this morning I spent a couple of hours in epsom common admiring the weather and bird songs.
I find it much better to have a plan befor I go out, that way when I pack my day pack I am only taking the things a may need for my objectives.
Now im still new to I.D,ing plants and tree, so my aim today was to choose a tree and go and look for it. now its getting near for the birch sap to flow for this year, so I wanted to make sure that I am familier with the different types of birch theres is, unfortunatly I only managed to find the silver birch but I did manage to spot it living, dead, young and dead standing, also I was reading about the diffent features and looking out for it for myself. even though I could id the silver birch befor today I still feel I have learnt more about the tree ie how very similar it is to the downing birch and I wonder if I have been calling them silver birches  My other objectives was to see if the sap was ready, but all the birches I stabbed were dry.
I also wanted to watch a few birds (no not lady's, I will wait until im at a beech in the summer for that) I manage to see some parakeets, well i think thats what they are, i also got a glimps at a wood pecker (the noisy things) not sure on what type it was though. my last plan was to make a brew .

so this is what i carried
5284d4de-70e9-f7c4.jpg

tree book, optics, lighter to light my stove, crusader kit with brew, ferro rod incase I find tinder that iv never tried befor, folding saw so I can bring a peice of wood home for calving and my little opinle 9, I didnt see the point in carrying my A wright or mora for what I was planning to do today.

5284d53c-727f-7e00.jpg

as soon as I entered the common it had looked like someone had been practising BC already, not sure if you can tell by the pic but it looked to me like a porly built shelter or maybe it was one built years ago, i thought maybe it could of been one built by hugo when he was a kid, but then how could archioligist ( sorry about the spelling) could have missed that and not put it in a musiem. lol

5284d4de-7496-46c2.jpg

I think it was a parakeet sleeping

5284d4de-74d5-b944.jpg
5284d4de-74f7-5c1a.jpg

this area reminded me of safari, dont ask why it just does

5284d4de-754f-c54f.jpg

and finnaly the brew

it was a nice morning
thanx for reading

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Hope you had a great time Sammy.
I thought I cut down ALL the silver birch on Epsom common in 1960,
looks like I missed a few. Where was the picture taken of the wet area, is it near the big pond.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Looks like a fun morning out. I need to start brewing up on my daily dog walks (except the big felled oak tree I normally sit on is being cut up and removed imminently)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Hope you had a great time Sammy.
I thought I cut down ALL the silver birch on Epsom common in 1960,
looks like I missed a few. Where was the picture taken of the wet area, is it near the big pond.

its a little bit past the pond mate, gonna get myself out tomoz aswell if i can 

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Past the pond and walk ten minutes and I used to drink water strait out of the ground there in my youth, a small running stream it was.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE